Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
The decision to decommission UKIRT came from UH, not Ige. It was the easy target because the UK gave UH the money to decommission it as part of the deal to transfer ownership. It will become clearer over time this decision was politically and financially driven, and has nothing to do with science. The rust-bucket UH 88-inch is not a target for decommissioning, despite being spectacularly unproductive, because UH wants to redevelop that site.

My understanding is if UKIRT is decommissioned, the site will not be redeveloped. This was in some agreement made several years ago, I forget which one it was, there have been so many.
Another viewpoint about UKIRT:

http://goo.gl/PJQEzY

Not the most important thing, but just wish they could have asked me if they could use my picture.
I just watched this video about a surf park that's proposed in Australia, and it got me to thinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blrqf1NCpb4

What if the TMT can't move forward as a telescope after the Hawaii Supreme Court decision tomorrow? What else could it be used for in a way that could benefit all of Hawaii and it's citizens? One of the complaints I've heard over the past year is that it's too big. Another one is that it doesn't reflect the ideology of the Hawaiian people.

So I wondered, what is closely associated with Hawaii and Hawaiian culture, both old and new?
Surfing.
And how could the immense size of TMT dome be put to good use?
Fill it with water.

Combine the two and you'd create the world's first 13,000+ foot surfing channel to the sea. The longest, and probably fastest too. All the fun and excitement of an amusement park water slide, exponentially magnified by the twists and turns of a high speed rapid descent luge run. Channel surfing could prove far more exciting than a boring strapped-like-a-baby-in-a-car-seat zip line adventure.

Imagine yourself in the holding pool on the north slope plateau of majestic Mauna Kea. The giant TMT observatory dome peels open releasing millions of gallons of water in a giant undulating torrent. You paddle full force into the channel, catch the wave, and away you go, sometimes in a rapid free fall, other times twisting through canyon-like switchbacks.

This could be a win-win for both opponents and proponents of the TMT. Something for everyone (except astronomers), and best of all, no dengue mosquitoes at the top, and none could catch you on the way down.

I don't think even gypsy would object to this appropriate recreational and sacred use of the mauna. Surfing is Hawaii. And I can guarantee you'll pray all the way down.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Congratulations HOTPE you've nailed the absurdity of it all.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Jeez, more training sessions to attend. Thanks, HOTPE, but don't you think we have enough training to handle? Now we'll have to be trained lifeguards as well...
Decision reached - have to see how much patience the TMT has...

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/30653...inite-hold

In its ruling Wednesday, the state Supreme Court noted that BLNR voted to approve TMT's permit in 2011, subject to several conditions, including that a contested case hearing be held.

In a concurring opinion, state Supreme Court Justice Richard Pollack wrote that "the board failed to conduct a contested case hearing before deciding the merits of UH's application and summarily granted the requested permit without duly accounting for the constitutional rights and values implicated. The board acted in contravention of the protections of Native Hawaii customs and traditions."
Not likely to see this thing built in my lifetime now that it could takes years to get re-permitted. If I were TMT....I'd take it elsewhere. This sounds like the Superferry debacle all over again except this time it's a telescope.
Time yet to take a few rowdy laps around Waimea town in pickup trucks flying the sovereignty Jahwaiian flag?
If there are any cheering anti-TMT folks, I would be happy to know what they are cheering... Sad

Edit smiley to opposite.
This hit and Dengue hitting the Internet news its gonna get interesting.

Community begins with Aloha