Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
I am as rabid a foaming at the mouth TMT supporter as exists on this island. But I am through flopping on the floor leaving puddles of drool and kicking dents in my walls now. I'm feeling better. The Hawaiians have raised issues they do not realize they have raised.

How is TMT different than a strip mine in West Viriginia that rips billions of dollars of coal out of the ground, and leaves the locals with shacks and dirt roads and an ugly landscape? TMT will harvest data out of the sky, then ship it off to mainland, European, Asian, etc. universities to be analyzed and advance careers of people who never set foot in Hawaii and think Mahalo Nui is some kind of fruit.

That the UH in Hilo does not offer a PhD level course of study in astronomy in its Physics Dept, or a PhD level course of study in Polynesian Navigation cultural traditions in its Anthropology Dept is a pathetic joke. So I suppose those studies are better done on the mainland, or maybe in London or Paris or Tokyo? This situation exists because no one is FUNDING a PhD program in Astronomy. No one is FUNDING a PhD program in Polynesian Navigation cultural traditions. Why is there no funding? It is not for lack of money. It is because the money goes to schools on the mainland, Europe, Asia, etc. Why? Because it no one is stopping it from going there by bargaining hard on behalf of Hawaii. The Hawaii government has been comatose in aggressively pursuing the interests of Hawaii the state and Hawaiians the people in regards to the TMT project.

I still want TMT to be built, but the Hawaiians have raised legitimate issues. They are saying they want to see more on the table this time than trinkets and glass beads. I salute them for this. Maybe their tactics got crude, but they got their message across.

The onus to this point has been to paint the Hawaiians as an ignorant EBT funded mob. That sort of cultural put down is why this entire fiasco has reached this point. That is not going to fly any more.

I want TMT built, but I want to see a PhD program in astronomy at UH, and I want to see a PhD program in Polynesian Navigation at UH, and I want to see aggressive in your face talent search and outreach in all things Hawaiian in the schools of this state and if that is the price to build TMT, then I say to the rest of the world put it on the table or stop pretending TMT matters to you.

Let's build this thing, but it is time to get serious. This issue is a lot bigger than it looks. The natives are realizing what their Manhattan real estate is worth more than is being offered. It is time for straight dealing.

We still haven't found another Earth. Time is running short folks.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Where is the like button?
Awesome posts Imagtek,and Dakine. I couldn't have wrote some truths any better than that. Merry Christmas to you and your Ohana's, mahalo for your contributions here.
"...the Hawaiians have raised legitimate issues. They are saying they want to see more on the table this time than trinkets and glass beads. I salute them for this. Maybe their tactics got crude, but they got their message across."

Imagtek, we pretty much know what to expect from gypsy and dakine, but I have to wonder if that frustrated rabid support of yours has influenced you to teeter off the ledge of rationality.

Last I observed, "the Hawaiians" or "natives" haven't spoken with a single voice as a cohesive group defined by race on anything. Opponents and proponents alike consist of people with all kinds of mixed racial backgrounds.

" We still haven't found another Earth. Time is running short folks."

Uhh, no comment.
How is TMT different than a strip mine in West Viriginia that rips billions of dollars of coal out of the ground, and leaves the locals with shacks and dirt roads and an ugly landscape?

We already have the shacks and dirt roads?
http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/12/peter-a...n-the-tmt/

Another point of view.
^ These are the main points that the protesters have skewed to make their case.
And the falsity will be exposed in the contested hearing case.

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
We have to work with the protesters to make TMT happen because there is no functional government of any consequence at the state or national level. Absent armed insurrection, they feel their work is done.

I am a simple but practical man.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

How is TMT different than a strip mine in West Viriginia that rips billions of dollars of coal out of the ground, and leaves the locals with shacks and dirt roads and an ugly landscape?

We already have the shacks and dirt roads?

The hyperbole of that original statement is amusing. If you look at Mauna Kea on Google Earth, the observatories can't even be seen until you zoom in on the summit. They cover a very small percent of the mountain and overall have an incredibly small impact. There aren't a lot of really good jobs on the Island that aren't government. I hope that TMT is built as it is a positive step for mankind with very minimal impact on the environment.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
If you look at Mauna Kea on Google Earth, the observatories ... cover a very small percent of the mountain and overall have an incredibly small impact.

Meanwhile, the vast "private" subdivisions cover thousands of acres with unpermitted shacks, cesspools, dirt roads with abandoned vehicles and discarded appliances -- but this is all somehow magically okay, and not considered "desecration of the land".

http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/12/hawaii-...ty-issues/

The article seems to describe a different Hawaii. Is there more than one?