Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appliances
Hey folks - It's been over a month since I've been online. I'm back here in PA, freezing my okole off, wrapping up all those last minute details. Our house in Fern Acres is closing on the 6th, we've sold our house here, our household goods are on their way - all that's left is the goodbyes. I should be back on island in about two weeks. Wondered if anyone had a suggestion or two about where I might shop for appliances? I need them all. I know there's Sears and Home Debit, but is there a good mom and pop operation around? I rather value friendly, reliable service over those big guys....

Sorry to hear I missed the first gathering of Punatics - but count me in for the next one! Looking so forward to meeting up with everyone. Glad to know Pam's house is coming along! Can't believe you've gotten so much done in such a short time - but you got a great crew there! See y'all shortly!

- Cat

Whoo Hooo for PunaCat! Glad you're outathere, a solid okole would be nice if it wasn't for the freezing cold part! LOL. Best wishes to you on your move. Good question about the appliances and shopping local.

Oh trust me there will be other PunaParties!! Hope to meet you there! Aloha, Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
For a local furniture and appliance shop a good bet is J&J Hardware. They are across from Ken's Pancake House in Hilo. They have reduced the hardare operation for obvious reasons.

Jerry is the owner and has a well run business and he can be very competitive - he has to be!

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I'm no advocate for Sears, however We bought a small frig and new gas grill to bring with us and the folks from our local Sears told us we could buy here and pickup there as long as we had a pickup date to give them, which we did not so we did not. They also said they would call the Hilo store before the purchase a verify stock for us. I wonder if it would be cheaper here and pickup there as they were perpared to sell for the advertized price here... just a thought for savings.

HADave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

Absolutely Buzz, the return policy at Sears is second to none. We have returned items before as long as it was within the terms of the service agreement or warranty they would rather not discuss the problems just replace it. The small owner in the store I think tends to shy away from this concept because it takes up so much of his time. Then again they tend to be sure their products are less problematic. Like every thing else it is a coin toss. Some things I like from Sears Some things I like from a small business owner.

Thanks for putting out the phone number and email contact. With regard to rusting there are a number of automotive products out there that garuantee paint protection from such environmental issues although not real cheap they can be used for all enamel finishes. They are a one time application and usually come with at least a 7 year warranty. It is probably no longer available but there used to be a product called polyglycoat that worked well. You just rubbed it in let set and buff. There are many automotive products that can be used around the home that have amazing results another is fill-n-glaze which can be used on wood products to fill small scratches. I turned a local furniture store dealer on to the stuff 20 years ago there fix it guy still uses it today on all high end stuff that he want to look it's best before delivery. 3M makes the product of course it works supremely on your car or truck rub till it is gone hides all swirl marks and light scratches and does not contain any silicone or wax.

Hints from HADave Smile Aloha!

Edited by - HADave on 03/01/2006 09:29:01
Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

When last there in Nov. I shopped all over, the big seller I should say 2 big sellers for me at sears is 1) their service and 2) leadtime for delivery. They have a warehouse on Oahu and leadtime is usually 2 weeks, the big places were honest and quoted me 4-6 sometimes 8 weeks. I have bought from Sears here in CA and never had an issue, thier Hilo store selection was good and the staff very helpful, check though because some models are housed on Oahu and others are not, but the staff will tell you They know.

Aloha
Cindy

Hey Hadave,
We just bought four appliances a at Sears on Hilo. We tried to order from Sears Online.
And pickup at store as you can on the mainland.
Does not work for Hawaii. The prices are higher here than what they advertise online due to shipping costs.
tried but now way around the price differnce.

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
For a variety of reasons I, and my 90 year old neighbor, have become quite discouraged with Sears. We have both bought appliances recently hand have found both the quality and the service somewhat lacking.

For that reason, when asked for a mom and pop supplier, I recommended J&J in Hilo. I still think anyone should include them in their shopping research.

I got real weary standing in lines at the Sears return or service counter.

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
For anyone out there building off grid, Pahoa Battery & Propane carries gas ranges, refrigerators, flash water heaters. also catchment tanks, solar cells and inverters.

Cat, Haven't used these dealers, but the phone book lists: Modern Appliance on Kilauea in HIlo 935-5296 & Puna Appliance in Keaau 982-6444. (We bought ours at Sears, for the energystar ratings & have had good service work on our Trio refrig...quicker than the mainland (great refrig, but had problems with the little door flappy on both - so can honestly compare similiar repairs!)
Aloha, Carey