Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appliances
Hey HADave! Is that being redundant? If we get one without the magnetic ability, just what are we going to do with our refrigerator magnents? Hey, don't laugh, I'm not the only one who had that thought. pj

PJ, I hope I'm not being redundant. I was simply reporting the facts as they are. Thought I might save someone from being taken to the cleaners. The characteristics of stainless steel run throughout the entire material. It is not a coating. The so called faux stainless finishes being offered to day, just to meet a price point, are often coated carbon steel. They, will hold magnets, and be less expensive than the real thing. Scratch the surface of a faux stainless panel and you will expose the carbon steel below and it will rust. I hope I'm giving someone good info to make a wise purchase. Somewhere it should say type 300 something usually, 304 and what the content of chromium and nickel it is, 18/8. If it is real someone should brag that fact during point of sale...Smile)

HADave

Sorry for the magnet collections out there but maybe they can find a new home on the washer/dryer Smile))

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

HADave,Thanks for the acid/stainles steel tip. I did not know that! (The tip has been added to The Hawaii Folder!)

David D

For you magnet loving folks out there, as type 430 mostly used in the lower end lines of appliances. I think lots of imported stuff is 430. anyway magnetic and somewhat corrosive resistant. Well I'm probably screwing everyone up now. I guess just be sure the literature says rustproof somewhere..Smile)

Aloha HADave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

Hey HADave I didn't mean YOU were redundant(You sound like a very articulate and well informed man). I was attemting humor regarding your name and my greeting - HA like hey.? Anyway,here's any idea. Would it help slow the rust process if you wax the outside of the refrigerator? It sure helps with cars so maybe....... g/day pj

Geez HADave, your wealth of info seems to be almost limitless! Have you ever thought about writing a book for the practical do-it-yourself homeowner? It seems like your experience covers just about all the bases. Or maybe you can get your own show on the local public access channel, you were mentioning wanting to get involved in some community activities...
Aloha,
Mark

Hey, HA, PJ <lol> OOPS! once again it is tough sometimes understanding the written word. To answer your question I think it would be beneficial to wax or use some polymer protectant to combat rust on refrigerators. I think the biggest problem with rusting refrigerators is we wash them with harsh detergents to keep them clean and it strips the protectant off and then we forget to reapply the stuff. Usually we don't see other appliances stoves and washers and dryers rust unless they are chipped because they have a porcelain enamel finish and there is nothing stronger or more resistant to corrosion than porcelain enamel. A Porcelain finish has no pores and won't scratch so bacteria can't get under the finish thats why they wipe clean in seconds. I can't say I've seen a porcelain finished refrigerator in a long time and I don't know why, but maybe it worth asking about. They would be magnetic..Smile)

HADave

Mark, I really don't know what to say or how to say it if I did I guess like Royall puts it at the end of his posts "what comes around goes around". I've always found things others did and said as important information. I've always had to rely on myself because we always wanted nice things and couldn't really afford them. It is amazing when you "diy" all the things you learn and after a life time of doing so you get pretty good at things. It is time in my life to start giving back and this is my beginning attempt of just that. I truly hope some can find the good in the things I say. I enjoy this forum and all those that post here and hope oneday to be a good helpful neighbor to many of you. I guess we will leave the book writing and TV shows to others..Smile thanks for the flattery though

Humbly Yours HADave

Edited by - HADave on 03/08/2006 23:32:32
Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

PJ, and other magnet lovers. Somewhere in our hardware shopping this past fall/winter, one of the stores (HPM???HD???ACE????other????)had a magnetic paint on display, not that you would want to paint a stainless frig, but maybe a pantry door can be the memo minder (might be able to acheive the same thing by dumping iron filings in your paint, but then your paint might rust on you)...Not all stainless steel alloys are non-magnetic, and different alloys (those numbers like 304, 316 & such) have different corrosion characteristics. For the best non corrosion grey metal, look to titanium ('Imiloa Centers new domes are clad in it)lightweight, but also very $$$, and magnets are not attracted to it.
Aloha, Carey

Has anyone on the forum (living in Puna) had stainless steel appliances long enough to know that it's worth the extra cost? How much longer can they be expected to last versus traditional appliances? In general, what kind of price difference are we talking about? Double? We're considering going stainless if the numbers are crunchy enough Smile

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Here in Cali We have a side by side stainless steel refer! I'll never have another side by side and I'll never have another stainless steel one either. Did the magnet test last night and no the magnet doesn't stick to my pots and pans (stainless) but it sure does stick to my HIGHend refer! Wow was I surprised, can't count on a highend brand name???? Luckily for us I had already decided to leave this baby in it's current home. Also cleaning grease spots from hands/fingers is a real chore. I'll take porcelain any time over stainless. Mella

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA