Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody having dsl problems orchidland?
Title says it all.
I don't have DSL but I have Alohabroadband in HPP and haven't been able to stream a standard definition movie to my smart TV for about a year now without it breaking up every 2 minutes. The last time I complained about it ......they came back saying they were having issues with Time Warner. Maybe that could also be affecting your DSL.
Hawaiiantel determined "there is something wrong in the lines" and dispatched a technician to look at it... but they are very busy in our area, so we'll be without broadband for 9 days. Assuming they show up and fix it "when scheduled". So until then we're down to cell signals for data like we were several months ago before the FCC grant to bring broadband to Orchidland. I guess the FCC grant didn't allocate any provisions for "maintenance".

Let's not say goodbye Netflix... just "see you later".
AlohaTC: Don't count on the 'scheduled date' to be the 'actual date'. YMMV, but here in Leilani HawTel has always shown up much sooner than the cya date- hopeful that your experience will be similar...

-dwajs
-dwajs
My experience with Hawaiian tel has been the same as David's: they give you a due date and then resolve the issue well before then. From my telco days, it was frequently the case that fixing one customer's problem resolved similar issues for numerous customers further down in the queue.
I am losing connectivity when the rain is coming down hard. Worried as I am working my mainland job from here and I need stability. We ran burial grade Cat 5 overhead down the electric poles 380 ft to the house.

Why 9 days Terracore?
Hope whatever is affecting you doesn't roll downhill.
quote:
Originally posted by Susan

I am losing connectivity when the rain is coming down hard. Worried as I am working my mainland job from here and I need stability. We ran burial grade Cat 5 overhead down the electric poles 380 ft to the house.

Why 9 days Terracore?
Hope whatever is affecting you doesn't roll downhill.

They said that is the soonest they could get anybody out to look at it. I even tried offering to pay an extra fee to get some priority service. No dice. Why did you have to run your own cable and how did you make that happen?
working my mainland job from here and I need stability

If it's really that important -- as in "telecommuting means I get to live here in paradise" -- then it might not be a good idea to rely on consumer-grade bandwidth; as you can see, there is no "guaranteed service level".

burial grade Cat 5 overhead

Not fit for the purpose -- get some proper aerial drop wire, or run conduit for the cat5. (You don't have to bury the conduit for low-voltage.)

losing connectivity when the rain is coming down hard

Leaky junction box will do this -- and it's probably not "theirs", maybe put a little roof on the NID at your meter pole?

tried offering to pay an extra fee to get some priority service

Pay extra for better service; it includes the "priority". It's not cheap, but (again) if it's really important, it's worth the expense.
"Pay extra for better service; it includes the "priority". It's not cheap, but (again) if it's really important, it's worth the expense."

Not sure what you are referring to. I tried to get business-level DSL (or ANY type of broadband service) installed and they said it wasn't available here.

My history with DSL in other states is that it's generally just not very reliable. Having outages that require a service call 2 or 3 times per year seems to be the norm but waiting 9ish days for help is something I'm not used to. If this happens 2-3 times per year that's practically a month every year without service. Hopefully things improve but looking at our utility lines with rope attached and palm fronds hanging off them etc I'm not expecting any miracles and am thankful for cell phone wifi hotspot capability in the meantime.

Get a Verizon MiFi device as a backup and only activate it when needed. Much better speeds than tethering to a phone.