Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native Hawaiians in support of TMT
Speaking of being late to the party, maybe I'm not doing the Punaweb search correctly but it looks to me like somebody didn't realize they were against the telescope until the protests started. What was that first Spice Girl hit called again?
Little too cryptic for me, Paul, especially at this hour. However, despite a very violent and allergic reaction to anything related to the "Spice Girls", I had to look it up.

First UK hit was "Wannabe".

I don't know if that's what you are referring to, but in any case I'm taking a shower. Can't believe that group came up on PW and I feel icky...
Come on Tom, best of British! Yes, that's the song.
I'm alluding to people from the mainland coming here and trying to be more local than the locals, even if it means suddenly discovering they have an irrational distaste for telescopes.
Their opinions and comments should also be invalidated by their tardiness, as you suggest PUEO should be at this point?

If PUEO "lacks standing", then so do the Protectors: neither group "owns" the land, nor does any of them hold a lease and/or Use Permit.

Put another way: if the claim of "standing" is based on "sacredness of the land", then that "sacredness" applies equally to all, even the haoles.
"it's pretty clear that Richard is a (very) late comer to the party and has no direct kuleana in the proceedings. Like his efforts to inject himself in the geothermal debate he seems to be searching for a voice, a place to be identified with, to be seen as a pro development evangelist, but one without roots in the causes he takes up. But hey he's obviously connected, sheesh he got the growers license, but somehow he always is a bit too late and misses the mark"

Same person on a different thread:
"Once again I am reminded of Eleanor Roosevelt's quote that is so apropos here:
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Saying someone is "late to the party" when they themselves arrived at the "party" 6 years later, now that's hypocrisy writ large.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine
Read the article (linked above) HOTPE, it's pretty clear that Richard is a (very) late comer to the party and has no direct kuleana in the proceedings.
You just exposed yourself as not being here very long or maybe another one of these people not living in Hawaii pretending they are, for whatever bizarre reason.

Richard was there at the first approval, he was there for the EIS in 2010, he has talked about his father being a contractor for the Subaru telescope.

You have been outed, poser.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
[xx(]

Aunty Emma DeFries always anticipated this kind of debate, this kind of "namunamu", bickering, and basic "warfare".

Apologies for being a tad off topic, however, it is important to remember certain life lessons. Here is Aunty Emma DeFries (our ohana Kahunanui), explaining how to handle "life". I leave you to figure out her words, they are simple, clear, and pure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqVhD7cQAME

This issue continues to divide us, and potentially, lose what is important to ALL of us who love our land...OUR aina, OUR home.

We were taught to not get caught up in frivolous name calling, challenging the dissected written words (nor spoken words) with disrespect, nor lose the "valued opinion" you might hold, due to a poor choice of words.

It is very disheartening to see the continued personal attacks, given the seriousness of this issue (and others on PW that fall into total chaos).

It is good to breathe deeply, before speaking/writing, especially in hot issues. Mahalo for the indulgence in being OT.

Going to rest. tomorrow is another day. Mahalo ke Akua, e na Aumakua, e na Kupuna. Forgive us for our shortcomings, and envelop us in your grace.

JMO.
Once again, Richard Ha != PUEO. PUEO is a group of native Hawaiians in favor of the TMT.
And yes I still hold that several people/groups aren’t at the core of the original complaint.

dakine,
Would you happen to know when Richard Ha, the protectors, and you each first made comments concerning the TMT? From Richard's comments on Punaweb back in 2008, he appears to be one of the first.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by dakine
... I am happy that Richard is going to have his day, be able to share the way he sees things. Though I will say again, recently he has jumped all over all sorts of issues as if to inject himself into whatever was in the fore verses truly being at the core of any one of them. And to me that looks like one that is paving the way for an eventual political career.

Or maybe Mr. Ha sees that (transplant and local) activists are successful only in depriving the offspring of long-time local families of any meaningful education and employment opportunities and forcing them to choose between low wage jobs here or permanently leaving their homes for the mainland - so he has chosen to speak out, and refuses to be shouted down by transplant activists (as I have seen happen to so many local folk who used to come out to public hearings) in hopes of seeing Hawaii have economic opportunities beyond tourism.