Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appliances
As far as cleaning goes, white porcelin is much easier to keep clean than black porcelin or stainless steel. Smudges and imperfections show on black finishes much worse than white. (Ask anybody who paints cars.)

Once you do get your new appliances - and this includes all bathroom fixtures - put on two or three coats of wax. Regular carnuba wax or beeswax will do fine. That does wonders for making them easy to clean and keeps them nice looking for years. (I learned this from a contractor years ago.)

You can also wax older fixtures to make them look new and shiny again. We just installed a "take out" tub from the Mauna Lani which we got from a garage sale for $10. It is a real "high end" huge double tub with fancy faucet and all. A bit of cleaning and waxing and it is as good as new. The matching toilet which we got at the same garage sale for $5 doesn't look like it was ever installed.

Why pay retail?

A hui hou,
Cathy

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Cathy,

Don't want to show my ignorance here, but, just what is a "Take out" tub???

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Hey Mella,
Could you elaborate on why you wouldn't get a side by side or stainless again? I'm not close to appliance purchase yet (we haven't even got the house here up 4 sale yet!?!) but I was thinking of switching to a side by side. Mahalo!
We too, will not choose the side by side model - ever try putting a frozen pizza in one? While there is plenty of vertical room, it doesn't have "useable" IMHO width.

I think our first choice will be the matching ref/freezers that can be sat side by side. There is no freezer section in the ref.
As I recall Frigedaire and Whirlpool make them. Lowes in Atlanta had on display, don't know about Kona as we haven't started looking yet. We did ship a commercial model gas range.
Whirlpool is apparent White onlt, no SS for ref
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product_feature_popup.jsp?productId=177&featureKey=SF20856

Frigidaire is SS, but don't know what #
http://www.frigidaire.com/products/refri..._twins.asp

David

Ninole Resident

Edited by - David M on 03/09/2006 17:57:13
Ninole Resident
I've just spent 30 minutes on the phone to Sears my local store, Sears central national headquarters, and kenmore appliances direct. I had the same questions for them all and no one could answer any of them. Those question were Is a porcelain enamel finish available on any sears appliances, the response from each was they never heard of it and that those items that were colored were just painted. Then I asked if there was a difference in quality of stainless steel and what type did they sell, again the answer at all 3 locations were they did not know. My last question was than how can I be sure that the purchase I make will not rust. the answer was the same at all 3 locations they did not know.
Ok so then I called whirlpool out of Michigan and the lady I spoke with was good enough to explain to me that refrigerators were different than the rest in that there colored finishes were nothing more than textured painted steel and the high end smooth paint was called Satina, easier to clean, but it was still over carbon steel, which when scratched would rust and the stainless steel products were type 304 stainless non magnetic, which should not rust. She said to call anytime give a zip code and she would tell anyone what stores carried their products. www.whirlpool.com or 269-923-5401 She did say that waxing is reccomended by them when rust is an issue except in the case of stainless steel.

I think anyone with a rust concern while out shopping for appliances is in for some frustration. definitely a subject worth a little ranting.... Good Luck

HADave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

Hi Linda, David M is correct about the pizza, even a turkey can't go into one. In my opinion it is wasted space. You have to jam things in and remove them to get to the back as the shelves are longer than they are wide. We will be looking for a freezer in the bottom refer, with two doors in the refrigeration section. We feel as we get older we eat more fresh, and don't need as much freezer space as a family would. I previously had a refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom, and also an old General Electric Americana from the 60's that I found the most user friendly.

You know to each his own! With the bottom freezer I will be getting the type without the wire sides. I want solid sides on the bottom freezer drawer, as when you open the freezer the cold air doesn't fall out thru the wire siding.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I have a stainless bottom freezer model and love it. My finish is not the smooth, it is hmmmm, I don't know what it is called. Maybe brushed? David M., you have been to my house. Do you know what this is called? Anyways, I was pretty sad to loose the massive magnet/photo set up that covered up the old fridge that was free from my grandma. It was an ugly beast that stayed in the barn to keep extra veggies cold until she could freeze/can them. It looked rough. Ok, I am rambling. My husband found a really cool metal thing that is like a bulletin board. Now everything hangs on it since it wouldn't stay on the fridge.

I love the bottom freezer feature. I would but it again but we plan on the Fridgidaire that is one fridge and one freeze and they go side by side. They hold a lot more and we will not have to make as many trips to town.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
What a steal! HOTZCATZ I've never been much of a garage sale goer but I'd love to tag along with you! Sounds like you made out like a bandit on those deals; to everyone who has posted such great info and tips mahalo plenty! pj

Mella,
Since I have not seen an answer to your question, I will venture an answer. From the context, a "take out" is something removed (used) from a hotel, piece of equipment, etc. and sold.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Whodda thunk "appliances" would be such a popular topic.

Now...what's the verdict? Is it or is it not worth paying extra for the stainless steel appliances to get the longer life expectancy? Your opinions are appreciated.

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius