Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ISS, Tiangong, Satellites Over Puna
Wish it was darker but Next Friday is great for keiki.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_States®ion=Hawaii&city=Hilo#.V615uY-cGM8

Good time to teach them some geometry and terms too.

Like 75 degrees is different than overhead and means more than just a spider or rabbit ears over your head in a photo.

Get out the compass ( both kines ), the protractor, pencil and paper, the level, flashlights, sugary snacks,,, everything. Give them the tools to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLjEj8OxJM

Great data Tom, mahalo!
Now teach it to next generation y'all.
Just a reminder about tomorrow night's Iridium flare. No changes other than the predicted magnitude is now -7.4 which is extremely bright. Hopefully, the cloudy skies will clear up.

Date and time: August 15th 20:04:05 HST;

Location: elevation 53 degrees above the horizon, azimuth 120 degrees (ESE). The flare is predicted to happen when the object is close to the moon but a little higher up in the sky;

Magnitude: -7.1. This is a little fainter than earlier predictions as the orbit has been updated, but is still extremely bright.

The center of the flare path is slightly more inland than Kaloli Point, so those living close to the H-130 will see an even brighter flare.

If you want to check the timings and brightness for your location, go to heavens-above.com and enter your location (you can use the map to drag a pointer to do this). After doing that, click on the Iridium Flares link to the left. To get more details, you can click on the link in the table to see the sky track of the satellite and the path of the flare center on the ground.
The weather forecast is not promising, but just a reminder for those interested:

"ISS, Friday 19th August:

Rises at 19:54 in the NW, passes close to overhead (slightly SW) at 19:57 and passes into the Earth's shadow at 19:58 in the SSE.

Magnitude -3.3 which is similar to Venus at its brightest, so easy to spot.
"
Mostly clear out here in HS/HB. 15 minutes until showtime. Heads up!
Lodestone, thanks for the heads-up tonight. We saw something that was flashing or blinking as it just went across the sky less than five minutes ago. Could it have been the ISS?
It is the most beautiful, cool, clear evening...The moon is incredible as it rises...We're watching for it, then clouds rolled in.

The fire is still going, s'mores are next (ate three pieces of chocolate waiting..lol [Big Grin]). Did anyone see it?

Many thanks for the friendly reminder, and even if we can't see it (or, just missed it; neck got sore...lol), we are enjoying a wonderful ohana evening.

We are so blessed to live in Hawai'i. Mahalo ke Akua, e na Aumakua, e na Kupuna.

JMO.

quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Lodestone, thanks for the heads-up tonight. We saw something that was flashing or blinking as it just went across the sky less than five minutes ago. Could it have been the ISS?

[:0] You might have seen it, gypsy! (Going to stretch my neck right now! Thank you.)
Hi Gypsy (and aloha Opihikao) - maybe... I didn't see any blinking, it was just VERY bright, and headed southeast in a hurry. For me, it was visible for about two minutes before fading into the mist and dark. I suppose if there was some mist or clouds in your line of sight it may have made it appear to blink.