Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
home sales up
We rented around for 3 years about 8-10 years ago, and there were always potential rentals listed every month. Now, there's practically nothing.

Trump says he's going to boot out illegal immigrants. I wonder how that would affect the housing market here.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Maybe boot out illegal immigrants, but not absentee foreign investors who don't give a hoot about infrastructure or the well being of the island. Only their own personal investment with as little as possible in upkeep.

Community begins with Aloha
illegal immigrants. I wonder how that would affect the housing market here.

Only if those who are currently citizens, but don't want to be citizens of the USA are considered illegal, and included in the booting.
" Whhhaaaat? We didn't want to be Americans because we thought YOU GUYS would have to leave."

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Are there many illegal immigrants here? Where?

I think part of this is due to vacation rentals. It's a good business for the owners and the government is getting great tax revenue out of it. I think that will continue.
Are there many illegal immigrants here? Where?
----
Plenty. You would be surprised. They take a flight here on a tourist visa and never go back. They are all over Puna. The County and State do nothing when they encounter them.
About 20,000 illegals.

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/data/unau...n/state/HI
They take a flight here on a tourist visa and never go back.

I had a friend in Kaimu who had to go to the mainland for about a year. He hired a husband & wife, legal citizens, to watch his property and manage his farm. Within months they had brought over 12 relatives from Mexico who lived in tents around the 5 acre parcel. They scattered before my friend returned, and I doubt they ever left the island.

As long as there is one family member who is legal, the others can rent, get bank accounts, etc and live here without much difficulty.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"They scattered before my friend returned, and I doubt they ever left."

And probably had anchor babies...but they can all still be deported if our gov't had the resolve and conviction.
"i doubt they ever left the island"
Based on what?
Based on what?

Two factors:

1) When my friend returned, he spoke with neighbors, other friends, and business associates, then pieced together the events that took place on his property, and afterward.

2) The nearest off island departure point for Kaimu is Kalapana. There were no scheduled or unscheduled flights in or out of the Star Sanctuary for either legal or illegal aliens around the time period my friend returned. Did you see any? Case closed Mr. Holmes.

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)