Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
home sales up
"They scattered before my friend returned, and I doubt they ever left the island."
I sense you're now embarrassed about that statement so I'll let it go.

Why would I be embarrassed? That's what multiple witnesses told my friend, and I have no reason to doubt it happened. Why would they, once here, leave the island? Wages in Hawaii are much, much higher than where they came from, and there's plenty of work at $10 or $15 an hour because everyone else wants $25 to $30.

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"No one is assuming anything"

You're stating you know 1) where they came from 2) how they got here 3) where they went next 4) what sort of work they would do 5) for how much and 6) their legal status.

Quite a lot of assumptions based just on supposed nationality. Can't we at least wait till January 20th?
HOTPE: "No one is assuming anything."

That was said in response to your comment:
PaulW: "To assume someone is staying here illegally based purely on their nationality is.... not nice."

I will add, and clarify that my comment about not assuming nationality was a given, because nationality in this case was a known and confirmed detail of the situation. Nothing else was implied or assumed.

PaulW: "Quite a lot of assumptions based just on supposed nationality."

Not a single assumption. All based on facts my friend determined by talking to people who had specific information about the situation. No one was taking a guess. The facts had nothing to do with nationality, they were determined by physical presence of the migrants in Kaimu, and actions they took while at, and after leaving the farm.

If you are in desperate need to find a racist today, there are plenty of other sites on the internet that specialize in that sort of thing. And they'll make it easy for you, they won't argue. They're proud of it.

Back to our previous increase in real estate sales in Puna. I think it will be onward and upward in 2017.

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

going to be fun to watch what happens

Especially when all those new residents are reminded that by choosing to live here, you accept all the problems, none of which will ever be fixed.

Just like you have?
Just like you have?

It took a while, but yes -- now that I realize Puna is "everyone for themselves", I'm making sure I have what I need.

A real community effort would probably work better. Maybe someday Puna will get there.
Don't forget the NIMBY crowd.
Don't forget the NIMBY crowd.

They're a big part of the problem, but not the whole problem.

They're a big part of the problem, but not the whole problem.

I agree..