Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP road maintainence
"Do you live on a paved road on Kaloli Pt?"

No, I don't.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Why doesn't HPP surrender all its' roads to the County? What is the benefit by keeping them 'private'?

County can't afford to maintain all those roads.. they don't want them. If people get used to county maintained roads.. then they are going to want other County infrastructure. And the county surely couldn't afford that either..

The way I see it, as someone who lives in Hilo.. not Puna.. is that
Subdivisions like HPP are going through growing pains.

The population paying for road maintenence.. needs to pay more..There are more miles of roads than there are people.

There just aren't enough people out there paying into the funds to
Pay for the work needed. Last time I checked skilled road builders don't work for minimum wage... and material isn't free for the taking. And equiptment cost money to run and maintain.

On the other side of the coin.. (again from an outsiders view).. the people that do control what funds there are. seem to have the best maintained roads...
Some keep mentioning the county. Usually the comments are about how poorly the county takes care of roads. So we pay taxes but there is not enough money from the county for roads. This just means that they are not appropriating fund correctly which is no surprise at all. we pay them and get nothing and that is how they like it.That situation is not going to change. We know we can not afford to fight the government. They would rather spend thousands of dollars in court than spend that money on roads.

Here is the deal. We had pretty darn decent roads less than 3 years ago and the running of HPPOA was efficient. our fees were not going up each and every year either. There were minor issues and that is it. NOW, for 2.5 years we have been in law suit, arbitration,lost all transparency, have no clue how anything is being managed, have an inept nasty mean GM, have board members who call members names and go after them feeling free to do what they want and run to attorneys regularly, there is no respect from the board, there is an office with an employee who would have been fired anywhere else for her attitude. Following bilaws are a thing of the past and why follow state statutes. No reason because attorneys are willing to drag any case out to line their pockets and our road funds are being funneled elsewhere while our roads are the worst they have been in 10 years.

Some want to try little band aid fixes. This all wastes time and has gotten us no where. Absolutely nothing good has come from any of it. Does any one really think the emperor Jo will leave? Ha! What is the saying.."fooled you once shame on me,fooled you twice shame on thee.

There is only one solution that is right on our horizon. That is to have decent people get on the board, you know...ones who respect our bilaws.
To be fair, There have been decent people on all Boards but they are in the Minority and either resign or get ousted by the Majority .
We need a Majority (5 openings now according to the signage) of decent people who respect the Membership and the Bylaws to change the status quo.

We are being sued now because of illegal actions by BOD. Our insurance rates have gone up because of it, and all our $ is being spent on lawyers to defend actions of the past and present Board Members, and chip seal that the Membership voted down multiple times.

There is simply nothing left for the road maintenance, which is the BOD's only kuliana. Go figure...

quote:
Originally posted by Katarina

Some keep mentioning the county. Usually the comments are about how poorly the county takes care of roads. So we pay taxes but there is not enough money from the county for roads. This just means that they are not appropriating fund correctly which is no surprise at all. we pay them and get nothing and that is how they like it.That situation is not going to change. We know we can not afford to fight the government. They would rather spend thousands of dollars in court than spend that money on roads.

Here is the deal. We had pretty darn decent roads less than 3 years ago and the running of HPPOA was efficient. our fees were not going up each and every year either. There were minor issues and that is it. NOW, for 2.5 years we have been in law suit, arbitration,lost all transparency, have no clue how anything is being managed, have an inept nasty mean GM, have board members who call members names and go after them feeling free to do what they want and run to attorneys regularly, there is no respect from the board, there is an office with an employee who would have been fired anywhere else for her attitude. Following bilaws are a thing of the past and why follow state statutes. No reason because attorneys are willing to drag any case out to line their pockets and our road funds are being funneled elsewhere while our roads are the worst they have been in 10 years.

Some want to try little band aid fixes. This all wastes time and has gotten us no where. Absolutely nothing good has come from any of it. Does any one really think the emperor Jo will leave? Ha! What is the saying.."fooled you once shame on me,fooled you twice shame on thee.

There is only one solution that is right on our horizon. That is to have decent people get on the board, you know...ones who respect our bilaws.

You know Katrina, I understand and share your concerns but I wish we could stop painting Ms Maynard as the Hellish Empress of the Lower Realms. It almost seems that you have a personal issue with her and it is really distracting from the very basic problems. Ms. MAYNARD may very well be a negative factor but she is not God, so let's focus on how to enact a permanent change without getting so tied up with personalities otherwise a bad problems just gets absurdly worse!

Yes, we had better management years ago, God bless them all, but we don't now and we didn't many times in the past. People are not always reliable, permanent or capable to fulfill expectations LET ALONE WHEN THEY DON'T GET PAID FOR THEIR SERVICES.

The bylaws don't mean a thing if we continue to HOPE, someone else in the future, perhaps by the Grace of the ALMIGHTY would be perfect enough to follow the rules. [:I] I got news for you...

We need a total change of the paradigm...

We pay our taxes to build infrastructure elsewhere in the island, and we have A BIG ZERO ON INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE Park! What a bad sarcasm to hear we need to pay more! I tell you what, if someone lives in Hilo let them raise the money themselves for infrastructure, what about that Alaskyn 66?. By the same token we use our taxes and fees to build our own Infrastructure!

The County does absolutely fkall for Hawaiian Paradise Park:no roads, no running water,no sewer system, no garbage collection, no police patrol and get this we don't even have enough post office boxes to get our mail. But we pay out of our okoles to satisfy the County building regulations.

Many in Puna are angry because our roads are private and we are opposing opening Railroad for their convenience. Lower Puna desperately needs a secondary road, why not negotiate with the County and give them all the access they need in exchange for paving and maintenance?

jdo
jdo
quote:
Originally posted by alaskyn66

quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Why doesn't HPP surrender all its' roads to the County? What is the benefit by keeping them 'private'?

County can't afford to maintain all those roads.. they don't want them.

What if anything is in place to keep HPP doing the work if they decide not to maintain the roads anymore? Just stop doing any work at all and I guess play a kind of 'chicken' with the County and see who blinks first?
We pay our taxes to build infrastructure elsewhere in the island, and we have A BIG ZERO ON INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE Park!

I pay taxes, and my subdivision gets nothing either. What's your point again?

Why doesn't HPP surrender all its' roads to the County?

County will only accept roads which have already been brought up to "standard", per code this is a 40-foot wide paved surface on a 60-foot easement. Can't speak for HPP (without digging out my copy of the plats), but most subdivision roads are only 40-feet of property, which means they can never meet the "standard" and therefore will never be accepted by County, no matter how nice the pavement is, and despite the existence of other County roads which do not meet these requirements (Post Office Road in Pahoa as but one example).

Can't win a rigged game if you play by the published rules...

Anyone ever heard of Alviso, California? They were annexed (and taxed) by the City of San Jose, but received no services (despite paying taxes). Their solution was to set up a toll gate; the ensuing media circus embarrased the City...

HPP should put up a couple of gates and start charging non-residents. If the County takes issue with that, drag them into Federal court for violation of HPP's fourth amendment rights.

Hawaiian Acres should do the same thing right at the top of Road 8. Especially when the commuters start using the "Emergency Access" to bypass the construction at Shower.

Or we can all keep complaining on a pseudonymous internet forum, because that's obviously productive.
Thank God she is NOT God and no where near it. The point is she has run the show here in HPPland for 2.5 years John, while blaming anyone and playing innocent while we have gone down hill at a rapid speed. Many many many have witnessed her act for a long time. If you have attended even a few meetings and been involved you would know this is a fact. Why not blame the one who is to blame? I am not going to play the P.C. game. How do you get change.. and/or improvement? You get rid of the root. If you have employed people or worked as a team leader you know it only takes 1 to ruin everything.
Most all of us in Puna are in the same boat when it comes to the roads in our subdivisions. Some poke holes in the deck,some bail water,some ignore,some try to be the captain,other jump off and swim,some throw money and some just laugh and live with it. Health wise and money wise it is best to accept being a pawn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Slow Walker
So are we all going to the next meeting?
Puna: Our roosters crow first