Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP road maintainence
Someone on our road in lower HPP with a front end loader went down our dead end street and filled in all the pot holes. I guess whatever works. I'm happy. Now all we need is a good size riding mower to cut the easement grass....
quote:
Originally posted by mermaid53

My 2 Cents wrote:
My issue is with the mechanism that keeps the feud perpetual. When I have offered that the feuding sides should come together and take the fight to the County and State, I am generally met with "that will take too long" or "that will cost too much" or, my favorite head in the sand response, "that's getting old". It seems that most people enjoy the war. They are not interested in a solution that will get the associations out of the road business, thus eliminating the root source of the war and the mismanagement.

And wouldn't it be the association boards that should spear head this kind of movement? What if the board reps lack prof'l experience and knowledge to manage, as is evident in our case for the last 2 1/2 yrs? The HPPOA is in the midst of a serious lawsuit caused by a board in 2014 that has driven our insurance rates up and continues to cause serious poisoning of our association's business. Hardly anyone comes forward to volunteer on committees like they used to and it's difficult to keep good reps on the board any more. Ground zero, "eliminating the root source of the war and mismgmt", is this HPP board. The board has the platform to do great things and unfortunately their unlawful actions instead divides the community. So how can we even conceive the notion to tackle the county? Not an argument here...just asking.

by conceiving it. The other subdivisions are on the same boat. Folks are not volunteering because of the futility of it all. This subdivision is just too huge to be self managing. It has been proven over and over again.

jdo
jdo
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

You are one of the few that actually "gets it".

It doesn't help much.

Lately there's a series of signs ("burma-shave" style) along Road 1.

you have a choice...

you can spend your money on car repairs...

or you can spend your money on road repairs...

Funny thing, if it's my money and I'm spending it anyway, I would rather pay a local mechanic to fix my car: think of it as "direct economic stimulus", whereas the Fuel Tax Revenue vanishes into County bureaucracy, while "private" road corps dues are spent on lawyers and "questionable purchases".

I can also control the frequency and severity of my car repairs by adapting my driving style as appropriate for the lack of road maintenance -- but I can't seem to control which roads get maintained, no matter how much money is spent. (Unless, of course, I go ahead and do my own maintenance -- in which case I get 100% of the value for money spent.)

so what is your point? Keep on paying the fees? I am with you on spending my money on a mechanic and do my own road maintenance

jdo
jdo
My 2 cents, before the arbitration was filed, there was a request by members to meet w/the board to discuss their concerns. Their concerns were valid. The board refused to meet.

With all due respect Mermaid, just because they refused to discuss a micro-topic does not mean that they won't discuss the big picture. I'm not saying they will, in fact the chances are probably very slim (I know because I have tried it with OLCA and gotten the same canned responses that I illustrated earlier), but the comparison you are making is apples and oranges.

In my experience, most of the people who get on the board are there to help. They may have head-strong ideas that others disagree with, but when the respect for those ideas is gone, we get war. Yes, you can respect an idea without agreeing with it.

Sometimes board meetings and membership meetings are not the best places to present new ideas. People tend to get defensive, there are time constraints, etc., and none of this works in a positive way. Suggestion: Perhaps a well crafted, RESPECTFULLY WRITTEN letter outlining a cooperative effort toward a long term, bigger picture solution, sent by someone who is not a known adversary. Or better yet, sent by someone who has established some respect with the board.

If they shoot that down, then we can just continue to laugh and make jokes about it. It's better than raising our stress levels.
so what is your point? Keep on paying the fees?

More like: don't ever expect any value for the fees paid, whether it's County FTR or "private" road dues.
[quote]Originally posted by Katarina

In reference to "vitriolic poison" posted here... I am so grateful that we are offered this site to keep informed and yes.. vent some. Maybe a solution(one that will work) will transpire. If you are informed, you will know that previous to the last almost 3 years, there was griping, concerns and a few who despised the former GM(though most have changed their tunes as they see he was efficient, educated and got the job done) posted. That has given way to chaos, lies, constant breaking of our bylaws and state statutes. This vitriol was created by 1 board member. It is not hard to discern this fact. So 1 person has caused all this angst, a lawsuit that she seems in no hurry to get resolved, arbitration that cost individual members and the entire membership(due to the board freely hiring attorneys), threatening letters from board members to selective members, death threats to a board member, illegal hiring and firings, employing a criminal and a family member, hostility displayed to members by the staff, a GM who refuses to due his job, the disintegration of many membership committees,Jo attending finance committee meetings and illegally voting as she was never appointed correctly, the finance committee being totally left out of any business decision, expensive unnecessary truck being purchased, chip seal occurring against the membership wishes, monies being funneled into a newly created chip seal account, our roads in the worst condition ever and our fees escalating. Good reason I'd say and very sad. All members should be outraged. This is not unnecessary and unjust vitriol.

I am on the mainland for many weeks now. Mermaid... or like minded poster. Would you please post what happens at the board meeting and membership meeting?I'd really appreciate it.

You left out experienced too.
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
quote:
Originally posted by Kahunascott

[quote]Originally posted by Katarina

In reference to "vitriolic poison" posted here... I am so grateful that we are offered this site to keep informed and yes.. vent some. Maybe a solution(one that will work) will transpire. If you are informed, you will know that previous to the last almost 3 years, there was griping, concerns and a few who despised the former GM(though most have changed their tunes as they see he was efficient, educated and got the job done) posted. That has given way to chaos, lies, constant breaking of our bylaws and state statutes. This vitriol was created by 1 board member. It is not hard to discern this fact. So 1 person has caused all this angst, a lawsuit that she seems in no hurry to get resolved, arbitration that cost individual members and the entire membership(due to the board freely hiring attorneys), threatening letters from board members to selective members, death threats to a board member, illegal hiring and firings, employing a criminal and a family member, hostility displayed to members by the staff, a GM who refuses to due his job, the disintegration of many membership committees,Jo attending finance committee meetings and illegally voting as she was never appointed correctly, the finance committee being totally left out of any business decision, expensive unnecessary truck being purchased, chip seal occurring against the membership wishes, monies being funneled into a newly created chip seal account, our roads in the worst condition ever and our fees escalating. Good reason I'd say and very sad. All members should be outraged. This is not unnecessary and unjust vitriol.

I am on the mainland for many weeks now. Mermaid... or like minded poster. Would you please post what happens at the board meeting and membership meeting?I'd really appreciate it.

You left out experienced too.

So how about an update on the lawsuit ??
mermaid53,

"An amendment to
11) There are plenty of other threads for you to enjoy on Punatalk. I see that you are very active on most of them and have even started some...Discoveries of the telescope is a good one. No one has ever twisted your arm and forced you to read or post on any HPP thread.

You have been an active participant on all HPP threads.

You're an intelligent guy....There have been many posts on all HPP threads stating HPP's problems lie w/issues that happened long ago involving the County...what are some possible solutions on bringing everyone together to fix the root of the problem that all subdivisions share?
"

I'm not experiencing any problems that I wasn't aware of before I bought my place in HPP many years ago. So have no solutions to offer since I haven't had the need to think of any.

Incidentally, that doesn't mean I have no right to respond to threads about HPP. Everyone on PW does, and in addition, since HPP is where I live, I have an interest on what a PW discussion regarding HPP might be about. So please, can we end this matter about why someone might want to post on a particular thread? If you or others only want to hear opinions that agree with yours, may I suggest you start your own forum somewhere else where you can control the discussion? I don't believe this is the place for that.
"With all due respect Mermaid, just because they refused to discuss a micro-topic does not mean that they won't discuss the big picture. I'm not saying they will, in fact the chances are probably very slim (I know because I have tried it with OLCA and gotten the same canned responses that I illustrated earlier), but the comparison you are making is apples and oranges.

In my experience, most of the people who get on the board are there to help. They may have head-strong ideas that others disagree with, but when the respect for those ideas is gone, we get war. Yes, you can respect an idea without agreeing with it."

Perhaps you could illuminate some of us with the grand ideas the last Boards had, because I cannot see them from the overgrowth on my road. I dare say the membership has been more than respectful with a Board whose dime has inexorably been spent.

jdo
jdo
just because they refused to discuss a micro-topic does not mean that they won't discuss the big picture

I suggest that any one subdivision who believes they are the only ones with problems are themselves stuck in a micro-topic.

To anyone who says that "County is too big/lawsuits too expensive/can never manage the resources" ... I'll have to agree, considering that none of you can manage basic road maintenance.