Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protectors required (don't apply via FB)
This is curious:

"Facebook’s Zuckerberg sues to force land sales"

https://goo.gl/hLi4xV
(Star-Advertiser link - it's not paywalled at the moment).

"When Facebook’s co-founder Mark Zuckerberg paid around $100 million for 700 acres of rural beachfront land on Kauai two years ago to create what Forbes magazine described as a secluded family sanctuary, he actually acquired a not-so-secluded property."

I assume if there are any protests, they won't be organized via Facebook, of if they are, it would be a delicious irony.

ETA some context.
That is actually the script to the sequel "The Descendants Too" with George Clooney.
This is absolute ****. I'm sorry, but I find it amazing that this kind of legal nonsense can even been allowed.

quote:
A contested case with many owners can cost $100,000 or $200,000 or more. For someone to use the law to not only establish title, but to also force a sale requires that they have an ownership claim. For some of the Kauai land, Zuckerberg has done this by purchasing interests from several part-owners.

Keoni Shultz, a partner at the Honolulu law firm Cades Schutte representing Zuckerberg companies in the litigation, said in an email that it’s common for large tracts of land in Hawaii to contain small parcels that lack clear ownership title and have co-owners who might not be aware of what they own.

Three Zuckerberg companies — Pilaa International LLC, Northshore Kalo LLC and High Flyer LLC — filed eight quiet title lawsuits Dec. 30 in state Circuit Court on Kauai.

[...]

Defendants have 20 days to respond to the legal complaint after being served with a copy. If they don’t respond, they get no say in the proceeding. If they choose to participate, it could be expensive if they want to be represented by an attorney.
amazing that this kind of legal nonsense can even been allowed

Good one.
If you check the Real Estate Tax listings in the paper you'll find among the lots the county is prepping for tax auction, parcels with a lengthy list of owners. Over time the title includes more and more inheritors, some who have no interest and do not wish to pay their share of the taxes on the property. A parent dies, and passes on their share to their children, who later pass their share on to their children...

That's similar to what is occurring with the parcels within Zuckerberg's estate. What Zuckerberg is hoping for is that some of the owners with no interest in the property, have an interest in the money they would receive from a sale. Unfortunately when there are dozens of owners disagreements on property disputes, taxes, limited building rights, etc., are easy to occur between them, and a forced sale can take advantage of the situation.

He had a problem with protestors a few years back when he attempted to build what some people called a "GIANT" wall along the road in front of the property. What was this high tech monstrosity? A six foot high rock wall, similar to rock walls that have been build for centuries...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mark...f85d479ff0

"Only fear real things, such as minds full of delusions." -Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The "Protectors" would be run over by Zuckerberg.
Zuckerberg is not incompetent like our State and County.
I'm laughing and crying all at the same time.
And then there is the rail project in Honolulu.
read the whole story before making comments... I dont like Zuckerberg, but what he is doing is totally legal, and many owners are long dead... like a hundred yrs ago+ dead... 19th century stuff, and many own less that 1% of the tiny pieces of property scattered on Zuck's 700 acres...

this link/story is very detailed asnd explains it all out.......
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/01/18...30d01f35d5

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
'protectors' pfft thats a BIG JOKE! they all got hands out looking for freebies, then go home and watch NFL on cable TV...
humans have been on these islands for 1/40,000th the time the islands have existed..... and these so called 'protectors' arent even descendants of the first people here... as you all should know by now..
aloha

I don't understand why he bought property in hawaii anyway. There are private islands for sale all over.. yet he choose the ghetto way, and bought a few acres. People with less money than him own an island.
Yeah Bananahead, my first reaction was that Megebuck Zuck was using his money/lawyers to take advantage, but this may be the only way to clean it up. This quote form the article gives an idea of how complex it is:

"The lawsuit against Rapozo’s descendents alleges that individual ownership fractions range from about 1/7 (about 14 percent) to 17/333,396 (less than a one-hundredth of 1 percent)."

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of owners, many don't even know they own it. Only someone with megabucks and the desire to do it can clean it up. With every death it gets even more complicated. Of course, this is just one article, and maybe there is some important stuff missing, time will tell. But if hundreds of people get compensated fairly for something they didn't even know they had and the whole title thing gets cleared up in the process, I don't see anything wrong with it.