Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ah, the unintended consequences
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...mpensation

Planned placement of the composting facility next to the Hilo landfill was opposed by the Keaukaha-Panaewa Farmers Association due to its proximity to farm lots...

EJ Noeau, a Panaewa resident, said he depends on the free mulch to support his farm, which has little natural soil. While loading mulch in his flatbed Thursday, he said he heard the contract was canceled and was concerned about losing the service.

Thursday, he said he heard the contract was canceled

Maybe he can claim he didn't have an opportunity to read the UCIS* and would like a hearing?
* Unintended Consequences Impact Statement

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
would like a hearing?

...with Panaewa residents claiming both sides of the "contested case", because they want the end product, as long as it's not processed "near their house".

Too bad there's (literally) nowhere else to put the proposed composting facility.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

would like a hearing?

...with Panaewa residents claiming both sides of the "contested case", because they want the end product, as long as it's not processed "near their house".

Too bad there's (literally) nowhere else to put the proposed composting facility.

Correction: nowhere to put anything...
Mayor Harry's BANANA philosophy: Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone....

Good luck with that...
I always thought it would be a good situation for Makuu Homestead to take on the mulching process.... they really need the soil amendments and it would be central to Puna where natural soils were strip mined by Shipman Ltd. for decades.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Where do you get the Shipman strip mining story?
Shipman strip mining story?

natural soils were strip mined by Shipman

A consequence of growing sugar cane for decades without resting the land or returning organic material between plantings.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
But Shipman was not into sugar cane growing. Puna Sugar was a lessee only of Shipman - and not at that location. Shipman was, itself, into ranching - which it turns out adds nutrients to the soil.
In 1899, B.F. Dillingham, Lorrin A. Thurston, Alfred W. Carter, Samuel M. Damon, and Wm. H. Shipman pooled their resources and started what they believed would become Hawaii's largest and most prosperous sugar plantation.
With a $5,000,000 investment, the promoters purchased 16,000 acres in fee simple land and nearly 7,000 acres in long leasehold from W.H. Shipman.
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~speccoll/p_puna.html

It was on a guided tour of Shipman property that it was explained to me that the sugarcane was dozed up and transported to the mill in Keaau. The first step was then to wash off all the dirt and that the process was cleverly designed to channel those considerable soils onto an area to dry out and then spread. From whence what was once raw pahoehoe is now Shipman pastures.

It was a Shipman family member who described the process to me. These are now the most valuable Shipman leased Ag and pasture lands.

"Mined" is likely the wrong word... but stripped is accurate.

Not uncommon in the day to ripe as much from the land as possible as quickly as possible. In a similar manner the heavy timber of Puna was decimated. But heck, money was made. That's the way mansions were supported.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator