Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ISS, Tiangong, Satellites Over Puna
mermaid,
Yes, that was the flare. It wasn't as bright as the las one I saw, but definitely increased in intensity for several second. It's a beautiful sky tonight.

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thanks for the confirmation HOTPE! Now we'll know what to expect if we get another chance. Yes it was absolutely gorgeous tonight and the moon 35-40 min before the flare was beautiful. [Smile]

Mermaid, this may help.

An Iridium flare is caused by sunlight reflecting off the extremely reflective panels on Iridium satellites. This creates a narrow beam (a few miles wide) that travels along the Earth's surface, and if you happen to be in that narrow beam, you'll see the flare. The closer you are to the center of the beam, the brighter the flare.

Because the satellite is moving at approximately 17,000 mph, the beam of light also travels along the ground at the same speed, but as I said, it is quite a few miles wide. So, as the beam moves over you, you'll see the flare start to brighten and reach its brightest point when you are closest to the center, then will fade. Due to its speed, it happens over just a few seconds. If you had been in the middle of Hawaiian Acres, for instance, the flare would have lasted for roughly the same time (a second or two longer, perhaps), but it would have been much brighter, probably 200 times as bright as Jupiter, because you would have been at the very center of the beam.

Hope that helps a little!
Mahalo Tom.. the description was helpful.. [Smile]

There's another brightish Iridium flare predicted for tomorrow evening (19:42:16 Weds May 3rd). It's supposed to be about the same brightness as the previous one, but since I think that one was fainter than predicted, I'm hoping this will be brighter. The orbit and position of the flare will be similar to the last one with the flare occurring just a tad farther away from Jupiter but still close.

Issues will be the weather and the moon. There may be low cloud cover and the moon won't be far away, so the sky will be brighter than last time.
Mahalo TomK! [Smile]

We are looking forward to witnessing another Iridium flare tonight. Hope we'll have another clear night for viewing.

Just a reminder for those interested.

"There's another brightish Iridium flare predicted for tomorrow evening (19:42:16 Weds May 3rd). It's supposed to be about the same brightness as the previous one, but since I think that one was fainter than predicted, I'm hoping this will be brighter. The orbit and position of the flare will be similar to the last one with the flare occurring just a tad farther away from Jupiter but still close."
We saw it! It was brighter this time. A minute or so after a cpl of clouds moved in. If it had been there sooner, we wouldn't have been able to see it. Very cool Tom! Thanks!

Yes, definitely brighter.
And as mermaid noted, perfect timing with the clouds.
Thank you Tom!

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Good sighting from Pahoa village, though I was looking in the wrong place, and was wondering "what is that bright planet to the south ?". Then I realized it was moving - duh. Still neat, even if seen by accident !