Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP road maintainence
Mermaid there is a product that park service uses and it's basically a bi product of tree sap it's used all over the us on dirt roads and it is awesome!!it is a powder form that is mixed in a water truck and sprayed on the road after grading then you just use a roller to finish it the product is pricey if bought in the US but it's really reasonable if brought in from china...puakaloa, county etc is using this product and rain makes it stronger I will let you know the name of it when I check again
Leo, the DOH fine was in the $7,400 range. I wouldn't be surprised if we get more fines w/only powder on our roads. It's time for the board to put the money back into basic road maint and stop CS.

Hmmm...when you get more info on the other road product, please share it. Although I think asphalt for road improvement is the prudent way to go...more bang for our buck, prof'ls would do it so the road crew could keep up w/the road and easement maint.

Something to think about...asphalt roads a few yrs ago cost about $350,000 per mile including the clearing before laying base coarse. Asphalt can last about a decade before requiring maint, esp on our cross roads w/less traffic. By what I've read on the internet, CS is usually applied on top to bolster asphalt or to fix cracks. CS requires a lot more ongoing maint, hence calling it the CS monster we'd be a slave to. If we eventually end up w/3 layers of CS on top of every dirt road, as it should be if you're going to CS the roads, that's 80-85,000 x 3 = $255,000 + per road. I doubt we'll ever get 3 layers.

The point about asphalt, which is what a majority of us voted for in the survey done in the recent past, was the low maint of it. The only maint supposedly for a long period of time would be the easements.

The CS roads on DE Makuu 32nd and 33rd may have reached their 1 yr mark by now. The newer ones on 26th have already required maint, one of which is only about a month old.
Mermaid I definitely agree paving with asphalt is by far the correct option for our roads the product I mentioned is for long term dust control and seeing as HPP owns all the machinery to administer the product we could be using the road crew labor to do it instead of subbing it out to others at a high price. The product I researched is called lignen like I said national parks and many other places use it for dust control and it is 100% environmentally friendly
It sure sounds good Hmmm. Wonder why the BOD didn't consider it.
Guess they were in a hurry to defy the Membership vote against CS.
Nothing like being "represented" by them.

I Personally don't get why they didn't research it more but yes I guess it's faster to throw 80k at an unlicensed guy and say it's for the dust control when anyone with a brain in their head knows this is what all of HPP newly "paved" roads will be made of Chip ****
The product I researched is called lignen like I said national parks and many other places use it for dust control and it is 100% environmentally friendly

Thx Hmmm...I'll look that up. We always have to consider the amt of traffic we have on our roads...will it hold up? HPP is growing by leaps and bounds in population and more and more people are traveling on our roads so this is an important factor in the equation.

CS is not "paving". Board reps are referring to CS as "paving" or "road hardening" now. I believe that's an effort of trickery to try and throw unknowing members off course. Up until recently they were calling it dust abatement, but as you can see w/the recent DOH dust fine, it's an oxymoron term now. Whatever they wish to call it, they're still diverting substantial amts of our $$$ against the wishes of the membership that should be allotted for maintaining our existing asphalt and dirt roads.

To stop the fines, obviously the board and GM would have to start dropping road material back on our roads again, and w/properly bonding mixed rock and fines. Cheap is not the way to go. They've got $650,000 set aside for CS that could go into all the road maintenance that's been neglected for at least 3 yrs now.

The road neglect is finally catching up to them and IMO, it's indefensible. Unfortunately it's OUR $$$$$$ they're wasting again if they decide to legally challenge the DOH = more $$$$ going into atty fees, not road maint material. What a vicious cycle they've woven.
Here's some links on CS...still don't see anything about applying it on top of dirt or base coarse...

http://www.clackamas.us/roads/chipseal.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Regions/Eastern/ChipSeal/

It's just like the complaints about County ineptitude: lots of whinging, no action, nothing changes.

The "fix it yourself" system used in Hawaiian Acres and elsewhere is looking better all the time.
Frolm Wiki

Chipseals are constructed by evenly distributing a thin base of hot bitumen or asphalt onto an existing pavement and then embedding finely graded aggregate into it.
--------------------------------------------------------

I guess the HPP chip committee didnt even read an encyclopedia before deciding

I know in calif that they only chip seal over existing asphalt. Also they spray the emulsion over asphalt several years in to seal so it wont crack. This can double the lifespan of the road

Dan D
HPP

HPP
the HPP chip committee didnt even read an encyclopedia before deciding

How many times do I have to point this out: it's not a "road paving" project, it's a "redistribution of wealth".

Just like the massive "private agricultural" subdivisions.

Just like HART on Oahu.

Just like "mandatory bicycle licenses".