Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uber on Big Island
What makes anyone think Puna is a good market for chauffeured trips to and from town?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
If they arent going to make more roads in and out of hilo.they need a high speed rail..instead of guber or uber or whatever its called.. (Almost choked on my coffee laughing so hard at the very idea of such a thing.)
I know plenty of people walking and biking from the back of the Acres to Kurtistown to pay double for their food and supplies. Plenty more hitching rides. Wouldn't it be nice if people chipped in a few bucks and shared rides?
I don't know what all the hype is about UBER.

They cost almost the same as the local taxi service... VERY expensive. I'll call a friend, or take the bus over them.
That is because Uber has "contracted" with local taxi owners.. to provide service in the event an Uber driver is not available. It is all in the fine print about the service...
Sergeant Robert P. Pauole, head of the Traffic Services Section, said impaired driving has been responsible for 11 of the 29 fatalities so far this year. “Always remember to have a designated, sober and licensed driver before you start drinking,” Pauole said. “If you can’t find one, don’t take a chance—call Uber or take a taxi.”

(re Thanksgiving) Nice plug!

How goes it, Uber drivers? Is it becoming worthwhile?

What would you charge (either as Uber, or not) for a HPP to ITO ride, by the way.
I stopped Ubering about a week after my last post...jus not worth it for me.

Cheers,
Kirt
I signed up, but then life got in the way (long story)...then numerous horror stories about Uber...as well as Uber customers...and pathetic wages... wound up never doing it.
Uber never intended it to be a good gig for the driver. They need all the revenue to 'trickle' up so they can get on with their real goal of having fleets of autonomous vehicles..

Uber is planning to buy up to 24,000 self-driving cars from Volvo, the company has announced, moving from its current model of ride-sharing using freelance drivers to owning a fleet of autonomous cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2...lyft-waymo

fleets of autonomous vehicles..

Any of those that make it far enough off the pavement will become ... parts cars.