Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YOU owe the state of Hawaii $28,500.00
We all "owe" the state $28.5k: http://www.truthinaccounting.org/library...2pager.pdf

Just wonderful.

How will those people who contribute nothing, pay their "fair share"? Will giving them a UBI do that for us?
Guess I need to say it again.

Elections have consequences.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Elections have consequences.

If you can hold an election. There's a heavily republican county in southern Oregon that has continuously slashed their budget over the last decade. They just closed the last public library, and they don't have enough money to pay for their next election.

At least here in Hawaii, we can still afford an election that will have consequences. And libraries too.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Wow that's depressing. But let's just raise taxes on the middle class! That always works! /s
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

We all "owe" the state $28.5k: http://www.truthinaccounting.org/library...2pager.pdf

Sounds pretty bad, but hard to say how meaningful this statistic really is.

Relatively wealthy states typically score high in this metric too.

For relief, one could always move to a state with lower debt per person, such as Wyoming or Mississippi. No? I didn't think so.
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Wow that's depressing. But let's just raise taxes on the middle class! That always works! /s

Just how bad are the taxes on the middle class in Hawaii? In Canada I pay about $14k in income taxes on a bit less than 80k in income. 18% doesn't seem a lot to pay (combined Federal and Provincial) for roads, hospitals schools, police, fire protection, airports, border patrol, military and much more. Sure, I maximize my deductions to keep my taxes low, but so does any sensible person, right? Sales tax (GET) is definitely lower in Hawaii at 4% compared to a combined 12% (federal/provincial) in BC.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
"one could always move to a state with lower debt per person, such as Wyoming or Mississippi. No? I didn't think so."

You're thinking of Alaska with it's $52,600 surplus per resident. Been there, done that. It's a great place to live, not so great for aging.

ETA: http://www.truthinaccounting.org/library...2pager.pdf
Alaska with it's $52,600 surplus per resident

Oil money.
If only Hawaii had a source of energy they could tap into, turn into electricity, sell, and put into the state budget.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The state of Alaska doesn't export oil, it taxes companies that do. Hawaii taxes tourism. They are both resources. I understand it's an apples / oranges comparison but regardless of what your tax base is, a state needs to spend within it's means.