Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP road maintainence
Maybe we should all help the poor, unpaved HPP residents by racing up and down their roads until all the dust flies away, leaving just rocks.
Maybe we should all help the poor, unpaved HPP residents by racing up and down their roads

It's being attempted as we speak. All day, and half the night too. Some helpers even use the added step of operating deep bass subwoofers to loosen every single particle of dust as they speed by. They're non directional though, so it even works in my house.

Perfect citizens: Those who do not like cake, but have a passion for producing eggs, butter, sugar & milk.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
operating deep bass subwoofers

I believe that's illegal under County Code. Perhaps HPD should investigate.
Must be the beat up on mermaid marathon today..

Johnd: 2 diff posts on 6/29/17
Kaloka's comments are right on the money each and everytime. To suggest he/she ought to move away is an affront to anyone with two cents worth of brain

not all! The mermaid entity has crossed the line telling someone they need to move out. That is insulting.

Johnd Twice now you've thrown out accusations that are untrue and attached rude insults w/them. Alternate facts? Give me proof that I told kalakoa to "move away, move out". I'll be waiting...

kahunascott posted:
And yet you bought your house on a non paved road.

Wrong, we bought a lot, my husband built our house w/his own hands literally, and the lot was located on a red cinder road. We were having no issues w/the red cinder down here. Then that grey base coarse was laid down on Kaloli Pt in a matter of days in 2012-13. Now that it's all gone, pulverized by scraping and rolling by the current GM and his crew, we are living on a powder road, remnants of that grey base coarse.

Obie posted:
Is Mermaid asking that the bylaws be broken by going over budget ??

kalakoa gets it: "More likely, asking that the budget not be diverted into unapproved projects of questionable structural/legal integrity."

IMO, not poor priorities, but completely Upside Down priorities. Whenever a GM and majority board are aware of road safety issues, and member dissatisfaction w/the conditions of their roads and easements, and w/intent puts it on the back burner for almost 3 yrs now, they are negligent of their duties. Obie, your board and the GM were completely aware yet continued to support allocating hundreds of thousands of $$$ towards CS... Something's very wrong w/that picture. CS is a CIP, not road maint. So why's the majority of association $$ going into CS? At the board mtg the GM and Treasurer said there's plans to hire extra road crew now for CS and raise employee pay. Yet not enough $ for road material, road striping and reflectors.....
kalakoa gets it

That's going to look great on a t-shirt when I run for mayor.
Please do!
You do your share of whinning and finger pointing and you bring nothing to the table besides histerical histrionics. Talk is cheap. What I do or won't do certainly won't be shared here, so spare it.
-------
Kinda hypocritical John. What have you brought to the table? Just sayin...

Mermaid is not the problem JD. She has spent years volunteering on various committees, attending every meeting, learning the By Laws, and speaking up for Member's rights. She knows more about the many "rules" governing our community than any of the present BOD members do. Personally, I am grateful .

You're preaching to the choir. Many of us have already spent our own $ on Lawyers, recently over Mediation. The BOD, rather than sit down and talk, (Mediate,) took our road $ and spent it on more Lawyers to fight the Membership . They have lots of papers taped to the walls at meetings saying their Lawyer (that we paid for) " opines" that their every action is correct.

The problem is the BOD and Management wasting our $ and not maintaining any of our roads. They have deep pockets ( lined with our money) for Lawyers and we don't.

We wish you the best of luck in whatever action you take to correct the present situation, but please stop slamming people who are and have been trying to help for a lot longer than you can imagine.

took our road $ and spent it on more Lawyers to fight the Membership

After which you have to send them more dues. "There was no other choice."
I'd like to update you on some things if I may, regarding our roads...

The Finance Committee has been dialoging on other options for fugitive dust control and w/consensus aren't considering CS as a viable product bc of the costs, and it's downsides. HPP has varying topographies w/in the park, undulating roads, and wet climate. Not a good fit for CS. The board in 2014-2015 were warned of these issues after a previous board had already done the CS research, but they ignored everyone bc "the membership doesn't matter, the board can do whatever it wants", and they did = our failing CS roads. Are they going to reimburse the association when it comes time to rip out those roads? You might want to ask Craig Crelly (the CS pres) these questions now that he's back on the board filling a vacancy for Dist 3, and after they depose Dist 5 rep (the bylaw following pres) and put him in as pres.

With the other polymers the FC has been looking at, asphalt can be installed over it when/if it comes time to asphalt that road, whereas that's not possible w/CS. The polymers the FC is reviewing are only for dust control, not as a permanent road surface treatment. You can spray the product on the road using a water truck AFTER the road is prepped properly to give a good foundation. No renting of CS equipment or special operator required. One of the polymers, AggreBind, is a product that the GM tried to suggest as an option in 2015 before the CS was laid, but Maynard and Mizuba had their own agenda to do CS.

The DOH defines fugitive dust as dust that crosses property lines. The worse the road material or lack of, the more fugitive dust is probable. The past 3 boards didn't drop gravel for over 3 yrs hence the 1st DOH fine in HPP's history. Where did the $$$$ go for road gravel? Did we give permission to Crelly and his boards to stop road maint, stop dropping gravel so they could CS? NOPE we did NOT.

Now the whole park is severely back logged as a result of their not dropping gravel for over 3 yrs. The CS job supported by the past 3 boards has cost us a lot of $$$ ($350,000 +) and given us shoddy CS roads. It was set up for failure from day 1 bc the majority boards were inept in doing a proper and legal contract, hired someone who had no contractor's license (they knew), and only did 1 layer of CS over a poorly executed road base. Report by a lot owner on a CS road stated the road moves. 3 CS layers is minimum and when all is said and done, the cost is almost the same per mile as asphalt.

I called the DOH to check up on what Crelly had been telling the membership at our membership mtgs. That the DOH was breathing down our necks so they HAD TO CHIP SEAL. Both DOH ofcs, Hilo and Honolulu, told me that the GM nor the Pres initiated contact about CS, NOR gave any progress reports of the CS roads. The story was that they only found out about HPP getting into CS when someone from the DOH called in a complaint to the GM. That was the only times they spoke w/the GM. There was no negotiations no deal... I was taken aback on the brazen alternate facts the pres fed us under Pres reports at board and membership mtgs.

"IF" any polymers are selected for a trial, the plan is to do BONAFIDE Test Roads. I say "IF" bc this whole thing may be tossed out by the "new" majority board. FC discussion was to propose to the board to try 2 one mile test roads in different areas of the park, roads w/real challenges in traffic and topography and let it sit for a good period of time (6 mos minimum?). A thorough assessment will be done before investing in the product and installing it onto any more roads. I would like to see the FC and board be completely transparent during the test runs. This time round, it needs to be done right so association money isn't wasted again.. there were NO test roads w/CS even though the CS pres and GM said there were. They were training roads and after they were pau, they moved onto the next road and the next and the next with CS....

The DOH DOES NOT dictate what product someones uses for dust control, as long as what they choose is a viable product to control dust. That's another falsehood misrepresented to the membership by the past 3 boards. When there were dust complaints, the DOH came out to investigate at the road in question. During these investigations, they had to have noticed almost ALL our roads were neglected...not hard to figure out that where there's no road material there's going to be more dust complaints to come.....

Unfortunately an insubordinate board decided to do things their way even though "experienced" people advised them. And with the uncertainty of what's to come after all the deposing of officer positions, who knows what lies ahead? CS again w/the same o Chip Seal Pres? Keep watch...if back to CS now that they have their majority votes, be very concerned about your money and push hard for the forensic analysis.