Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tree poison
Due to the expensive cost of milestone herbicide I was wondering if there are any less pricey substitutes to kill a few albizias?
quote:
Originally posted by Mac2017

Due to the expensive cost of milestone herbicide I was wondering if there are any less pricey substitutes to kill a few albizias?

Girdling is the easy, cheap way to kill them.
Crossbow does really good and is much more affordable. You can order it off of eBay or Amazon.
A gallon of milestone will do hundreds of trees. It also kills them faster than girdling. Sell some to a neighbor.
Triclopyr works fine on albezias. Cut and squirt on standing trees or spray concentrate on the stumps within 10 minutes.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
If you only need to kill a few albizia I'll give you an ounce of concentrate just because I'm a Nice Guy.

Bring your own container.
Milestone and crossbow are great but I painted several cut tress with roundup/ranger/honcho and it worked wonderfully. not mixed with water, straight. Just a suggestion since so many have this on hand already. The label also goes over proper rates for killing trees. It takes care of them big and small and not just albezia. I've done several in my yard and around the farm I work at.
Yep, concentrated RoundUp works pretty good if you essentially ring bark the tree with cuts and apply the RoundUp into the cuts. I dilute the roundup 50% with water because the stuff is pretty syrupy if you don't and I figure it gets sucked in better. OTOH it runs off easier too so maybe undiluted is best. It does squirt better when diluted as the syrup tends to dribble instead of squirt.
Make sure the tree you poison is in an area where dead limbs dropping for years is not an issue...
I have found a very small amount of Garlon (Triclopyr) injected into the cambium layer of the tree with a syringe, does the trick. And is by far the easiest way to go. No need to cut and such. Another way of applying it is to drill small holes diagonally downwards and fill them. Literally a few teaspoons worth spread around different sides of the tree and it will die.

The thing about Garlon is to use it very sparingly, and prevent any excess from being introduced into the environment. The stuff does not break down as readily as other products. But conversely all that is needed is a very small amount and it works on a wide variety of plants that other, more popular agents, such as Roundup (Glyphosate) do not.

Up in Volcano, especially in the Farm Lots where Rubus Idaeus (raspberries) is a real problem, it is great.