Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tire repair at Lex Brodies ?
I've had similar experiences at both Midas, Sears, and LB's: the impression I get is that their staffs are trained and encouraged to ensure that any customer coming into their facilities is considered a "mark," and that attempts to sell profitable products/repairs (regardless of the necessity for such) will ensue as soon as a potential customer drives up and their vehicle is on the lift. It's unfortunate, since many who've experienced this (like me) never return, and are left searching for alternate service vendors.
quote:
Originally posted by seekir

I've had similar experiences at both Midas, Sears, and LB's: the impression I get is that their staffs are trained and encouraged to ensure that any customer coming into their facilities is considered a "mark,"

Exactly. Maybe replace the word customer above with haole, I don't know.
They'll also claim to be bound by law to fail your vehicle's safety check for non existent issues. Don't bother to ask them to show you the phantom problem, just smile and walk out the door. [Big Grin]
You might think of them as" mechanics" but first and foremost they are salesman.think about it. t's the nature of the business.
"they said it was questionable to put patches so close together but left it up to me (I chose to patch it)"

They told me they could only do one repair per quadrant of the tire. Yesterday's excuse was "uneven tread wear". At any rate I fixed it myself for a dollar. When it's time to replace the tires I'm driving to Costco.
I agree that they are sales-oriented at many of these chain-stores, however, I'm not sure the rather mercenary tactics I've seen always enhance sales because they can be insulting, especially when the "problem" or problems they assert need to be rectified are difficult or impossible to verify. I've never had a mechanic tell me that my ball joints need to be replaced, take me on to the floor and show me demonstrable excessive play for instance. Though I'm sure they often find legitimate mechanical issues needing repair, the result of the shady tactics is an "am I being had?" question mark forming in the customer's mind, and a reluctance to continue a relationship with the merchant that would benefit their own bottom line. I don't know about others, but additional services that have been promoted to me are routinely over-priced IMO.
in the day - we used inner tubes for questionable tires ...way easier to mount a new tire as well

one can buy "plug sets" that are user friendly

Ive been told though ....that once a steel radial has its steel strands cut .....they can move around and cause further damage - especially on the handy plug sets and repairs

patches better...patching an inner tube way e.z.
Find hole. Push "crazy glue" tip into hole, squirt contents and remove tip. Wait 5 minutes and re inflate tire. Works for me every time. Sidewall, or within 1/2 inch of sidewall on tread punctures won't work on any tire, any repair.

Community begins with Aloha
"Ive been told though ....that once a steel radial has its steel strands cut .....they can move around and cause further damage - especially on the handy plug sets and repairs "

That has happened to me before. Any time you plug a tire you risk causing a type of "hernia" caused by damage to the steel belt. It's like driving on a lopsided tire. Once this happens the only thing you can do is let a bunch of air out and drive the under inflated tire to a tire store, or put the spare on.
Lex Brodie's did similar to my husband when we moved here 8 years ago. He hasn't gone back.
`Hmmm, I've been taking my car there for many years, never experienced anything negative. They always have good customer service, techs are helpful and friendly, never felt pressured at all. I had to buy 4 new tires last year, yep I got my money's worth out of the old ones, and they were cheaper than Costco.