Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Section 8 housing
A friend was telling me recently about her problems with Section 8 housing nearby. Despite doing some searches, I can't figure out why people would ever turn their property into a Section 8 house. It's a noble thing to do but that isn't usually what motivates people.

Does the government guarantee the rent even if the tenant can't pay, perhaps? Or pays the rent when the house is empty?

Thanks for any enlightenment.
Most, if not all of the rent is paid directly from the government to the landlord.
Landlords can charge substantially higher rents than on the open market.
Damages to the home, and subsequent repairs are paid for by the government.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Okay, that would explain it. Problem is, some landlords don't seem to realize what they're doing to their neighbors.
In some cases.
We have two Section 8 homes within a mile of our house in central HPP. One has been a long-term (five years so far) delightfully good neighbor, and the other has been a nightmare for those near it. Fortunately for me, the good one is next door and the bad one is almost a mile away. Even so, I have had to deal with several drunk drivers careening out of that place in the wee hours and ending up wrecked in the ditch near my home. Such is life in the Wild East of Hawaii.
I advised my friend to track down the owner via the Tax Property Map and let them know about the misery they're causing.
Sorry to hear of your plight, have not had the "joy" you are talking about. Not sure on the islands, but Ca has a "nuisance" law for people that have turned a neighborhood into their own disaster yard. All one has to do is keep a log of all legitimate called in to police department complaints, as well as your neighbors. If no resolution is achieved, a "class action" suit of sorts can be filed and a judgement against the property owner could be up to 10k a person for restitution.
Cleans up a neighborhood real quick.

Community begins with Aloha
Who do I call if I have problems with a tenant?

As a landlord or an owner of the property, the lease you have with your tenant is between you and your tenant. HPHAis not a party to your lease. However, you may contact the Section 8 staff for assistance at 808-832-6040.

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/datasets/...ummary.odn

Hawaii County 2017 Rates
2br $1271
3br $1629
4br $2046

quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Most, if not all of the rent is paid directly from the government to the landlord.
Landlords can charge substantially higher rents than on the open market.
Damages to the home, and subsequent repairs are paid for by the government.

Interesting discussion - although, are you sure that the gummint pays for damages to the house?

Some years back I had occasion to interact with a homeless "family unit" (not sure that they were related in a legal sense). They were quite an amiable group, living in a partially-collapsed abandoned structure - but very clearly borderline "intellectually disabled". In talking with them, it came out that they had formerly been living in Section 8 housing - but their last residence "had burned down". I have always wondered how that program protects landlords from that eventuality... The possible damage that could be done to a structure (in very short order) could far exceed any value that could be derived from the rental.
Tink says: Ca has a "nuisance" law for people that have turned a neighborhood into their own disaster yard.

We have nuisance laws, too. Just try getting them enforced and see what happens. I actually had a cop who was willing to enforce the laws tell me that dispatch routinely ignores such calls. He gave me his personal cell number, and he would either go himself or call an officer on patrol who would. Worked wonders until he got transferred.

geochem says: The possible damage that could be done to a structure (in very short order) could far exceed any value that could be derived from the rental.

Any prudent property owner has insurance . . . and prudent rental landlords have lots of insurance.
Section 8 housing paying some $1629 a month for a three bedroom house is ridiculous. Someone working a full time job of 40 hours a week at $10 an hour would only clear roughly $1100 a month.
Who pays $10 an hour in the Pahoa Hilo area?
Does Ruderman's Island naturals or Malama pay $10 an hour?
Anyway, One parent would have to work two full time jobs or both parents work one full time job to compete with section 8 housing benefits. With the cost of child care these days I just don't know how some can pay rent or compete with section 8 when most jobs are paying minimum wage in the Puna area.