Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PUNA KIDNAPPING suspect vehicle #HCD-702
I know no right to knock in the head and cut off their hair but maybe stole the wrong person car . Their has been a lot talk of lack sentence for thefts maybe someone got tired of it and took matter in their own hands sometime you reap what you sow.

jrw
jrw
There seem to be a lot of people on this island running around with warrants out on them for serious crimes, and the cops seem to be unable (or is it unwilling?) to round them up.
Since we are on the topic of crime and punishment once again, I'll offer the following link on the logic of flogging (recently debated on another website). I agree that this punishment is a non-starter. Too barbaric. Nevertheless, the concepts involved are food for thought.

Attached is a link to a review The Economist wrote on a book about flogging. As usual for The Economist, very well-written.

The opening of the review:

"IMAGINE that you—or, if you prefer, a younger, more reckless version of you—committed a crime. A bar brawl, driving home drunk again, some tax fiddling, getting caught with a more-than-trivial but less-than-kingpin amount of illegal drugs: something, in any event, that got you sentenced to a few years in prison. And say you were offered a choice: you could either spend those years behind bars, or you could get ten lashes......"

http://www.economist.com/node/18864244

you could either spend those years behind bars, or you could get ten lashes......"

On the Big Island that hypothetical offender often seems to be offered a third choice... "or would you prefer neither?"

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"There seem to be a lot of people on this island running around with warrants out on them for serious crimes, and the cops seem to be unable (or is it unwilling?) to round them up."

Given there's a bench warrant issued for the victim's arrest for failing to appear for her vehicle theft case, it'll be interesting to see what happens next. Will it be served? Find out in a few days in the next enthralling episode of eCourt Kokua.
Yes, TomK, given that the victim was taken to the hospital, wouldn't that have been an easy opportunity for the cops to arrest her on the outstanding vehicle theft warrant? The last time I checked, the fact that she got knocked in the head should not have made her exempt from arrest. I can't wait for the next episode.
I'm waiting for a neighbourhood watch team with masks on to apprehend the guilty red handed perp and serve immediate "judgement by their peers" with a quick flogging and perhaps a few punches to remind them they are not welcome in their neighbourhood
Does it have to come to this before the real authorities step up their game?

Community begins with Aloha
"Does it have to come to this before the real authorities step up their game?"

Vigilantism arises regularly when criminals are allowed to roam a community unmolested. (The job of law enforcement is to harass criminals.)
"You have failed this city!"
I'm waiting for a... team with masks on to apprehend the guilty red handed perp and serve immediate "judgement by their peers"

Isn't that more or less what happened to the woman who was abducted and thrown in the trunk of a car? Her peers seemed to think she had something to do with a car theft, backed up by her court transcripts which provide evidence there's a good chance it's true. So the four:

apprehend the guilty red handed perp and serve(d) immediate "judgement by their peers"

Or is this a case of bad vigilante, versus what we might consider a good, honest, citizen vigilante? From the sidelines, is it easy to tell the difference? If the abducted women had stolen the car, would we support the four in their methods of trying to get it back? Would they be in the right?

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves