Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PUNA KIDNAPPING suspect vehicle #HCD-702
Good point HOTPE, any suggestions on how to get the proper authorities to "step up their game"?

Community begins with Aloha
. . . how to get the proper authorities to "step up their game"?

The police, prosecutor, and judges comprise a triangle of authorities whose usual pattern when dealing with citizen complaints is for each to point their fingers at the other two and shrug. The police administration and judges are appointed by the good old boy network and not really subject to reasonable citizen pressure.

The prosecutor, however, is directly elected by the voters. When Mitch Roth was first elected, many of us had hope for fewer plea bargains and for demands for more lengthy sentencing. This has not materialized, however, and I have come to the conclusion that Roth would make a better social worker than prosecutor. Just look at the deal he cut Peter Boy's murdering parents for a glaring example.
Roth would make a better social worker than prosecutor

These are the same, it's just a question of "pay now" vs "pay later".

the deal he cut Peter Boy's murdering parents

If you can do a better job with the available evidence, feel free to run for prosecutor.
Actually, I have thought of running. Is there a statutory requirement that a candidate be an attorney?

Roth once told me that if he sent more people to prison, "for every one I put in, they will just let another out." In the very next breath, he said that he wouldn't stop seeking prison time for state marijuana convictions. Now I know that the Feds have had compulsory sentencing requirements for certain crimes, but the state?
he wouldn't stop seeking prison time for state marijuana convictions

In his official capacity, the Prosecutor must "toe the line" set by his superiors; I have no idea what his personal feelings are on the matter but I suspect they're somewhat less harsh.

So, when are they going to build a maximum security State prison on Ko'olawe for these "high risk" offenders (felonies) and use the County prisons for the misdemeanors since they are so full?

Community begins with Aloha
For all of you with comments about crime and punishment in our community, Rep. Joy SanBuenaventura is hosting a community forum this Saturday from 1-5 PM at Pahoa Community Center. Speakers include Prosecutor Mitch Roth (who's gone back on his campaign promises of treating marijuana issues as his least priority!), Puna District Patrol Officers Davy Kamalii and Jeremy Kubojiri as well as HOPE services, Big Island Substance Abuse and Neighborhood Watch speakers. Jes FYI...
Pictures (mugshots) of the kidnapping suspects available here:

https://local.nixle.com/alert/6332163/?sub_id=344108

They are considered armed and dangerous, so probably not a good idea to confront them and instead call the police if you see them.
What held up the cops? The mad car-thieving criminal was almost in their grasp before being abducted by her gang of misfits but nevertheless ended up at the hospital. eCourt Kokua hasn't been updated. Has it been taken over by the wild-western wiles of a Puna gang or has the dastardly criminal won again without knowing how they did it? Is the Hilo Medical Center a sacred place of refuge? What happened to her brass knuckles? Is it time to send for Batman? The next exciting episode will be soon. Maybe. Unless it gets all sort of quiet and everyone goes home and forgets.

Find out next week or whenever.
TomK @ 03:33:21, 1/04/2012-
Yes Tom, good observation and comment.
Maybe it's time for the US Attorney to take a look at the situation here.
The local powers that be just keep asking for it.
Maybe, despite reservations that we may have, it has to be.
Or are the Russians doing it? LOL.