Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return of the Superferry?
TomK @1/11/2018 00:43:26-
Sydney and Halifax Nova Scotia to Maine and Massachusetts.
New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island too.
I think they used the former Hawaii "Super Ferry" CATS too.
A rather extensive system, although parts are seasonal.
Similar to what you describe in the UK in weather etc.
If it can be done in the Canadian Maritimes and
New England (US), it could done save the corruption and
incompetence here.
I am very troubled by the fact that only four routes were examined and then extrapolated to the whole island chain

This is explained in the report: if the most popular routes wouldn't be profitable, then there's no need to evaluate the others.

Note also the expected pricing: $140 ferry ticket + $90 for a car (page 24). Almost as expensive as a flight, but much slower.

"What are we going to do to make a thriving economy here?"

Certain segments of the economy are thriving. Government, for example. Building permit delays are a huge job creator which also drives up the value of existing real estate.

A more balanced economy would basically require that the State and County get out of the way; this is unlikely so long as they protect their own self-interest.
kalakoa @ 08:35:22, 1/11/2018-
In past posts, some possibilities were mentioned by this person.
You know since you referenced them in a comment.
It is just painful to see the corruption, incompetence, waste, and lack of
analytical or just "reading the news" ability here evidenced by our "Hawaii
political class" and their real political masters. It could be said that the "Hawaii" that many of us were
used to in the modern era, died with Dan Inouye in 2012. He made to some degree the stupid
system function, if not really work here. For good or ill. Now it's just a running joke, 100%.
It is the blind leading the comatose here in Hawaii and Hawai'i.
Now only political and social midgets, remain perhaps as "local elite leaderships".
Did you see the interim UH Hilo Chancellor say (Big Island Video News 1/10/2017) on 12/27/2017 to State Senator Kahele- "Oh, Prof.Jarvik
got her money to finance Rat Lung research from grants, the State was never responsible for supporting her
for her work in East Hawai'i. Dr. Jarvik asked us for 200-250k to pay for the lab research on RLD samples."
But they could come up with 1.5 million for HDOH to tell us to wash our produce. My reaction is NOT PRINTABLE!!!
One can only imagine the future with fear and misgivings at best.I keep thinking and hoping we may see some Federal prosecutions get going here in the next few years.
the blind leading the comatose here in Hawaii

You got that right punaticbychoice.
If there was a political party in Hawaii with a platform that simply said, "We promise to be competent and accountable, not left, right, or center," I would vote for them no matter what their stance on issues.

They could use Costco as their model. Good quality & good prices:

Good Competent Candidates, Accountable to All Citizens of Hawaii - - regardless of race, creed or color, income level, blood quantum percentage, cuz or no cuz.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If there was a political party in Hawaii with a platform that simply said, "We promise to be competent and accountable..."

That's not a "political party", that's a "professional management service".

But they could come up with 1.5 million for HDOH to tell us to wash our produce.

They also studied the prevalence of rat lungworm in rats.
Neither ferries, nor public libraries. nor public schools, nor high speed trains, nor a governmental mail service are "profitable". They aren't in Japan. They aren't in France. They aren't in Germany. They aren't in China. And yet these advanced nations have such things.

France has high speed trains that show up ON THE MINUTE. There is a tunnel between France and England. You ride through it on a subway. These countries all have public schools and don't hate them and their evil teachers. These evil teachers don't have to buy pens and notebooks for poor students. Canada has ferries. Period. If Canada has ferries, we can have ferries, period. Those ferries are probably not profitable, but the shortfall is made up through a collective belief that they are a public good worth funding, like high speed trains, public schools and libraries and roads and bridges.
France has high speed trains that show up ON THE MINUTE.

Simply because: the French treat it as a transportation problem and implement solutions that fit those requirements. In Hawaii (and America, generally), any problem is merely an excuse to build another layer of government, create jobs for family members, award fat contracts to friends, etc.