Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water treatment
I have looked around for a few answers reference rat lunworm and the treatment of water. I would like your input please.

I run my water through a 20 micron, 5 micron carbon, UV while also keeping a good bleach level in the water.

In a worse case scenario do you think the water is safe for consumption?

Thank you

Sorry to beat a dead horse again
Been here for 6 1/2 years now. We use a 30 and a 5 micron filter and a UV light. So far so good.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Unfortunately, there are no definitive answers to this question as the research has not been done. Some preliminary research at UH Hilo showed the nematodes did not pass through a 20 micron filter but it was speculated that since they burrow, they may get through in time. The research also showed that the nematodes stay near the bottom of the tank where most people's intakes are.
Rant ahead: There has been research proposed for this and other aspects of rat lungworm disease but the Hawaii State Legislature chose to give the money to the Health Department (which didn't ask for the money) which conducts no research and instead publishes guides based on pure speculation! Rant over.
We have used the same system at our house for 10 years and so far, so good. We consume this water.
After filtering from the catchment tank, we use one of those pitcher filters like Brita for actual consumption. We keep a couple of these pitchers in the frig. This cold environment might even finish off any bad things still lingering in the drinking water. Sure tastes good after working awhile in the garden!

Brita filters last for several months, are easy to change and aren't that expensive.
We use the exact same system as you Mac2017. We still don’t like the taste of our water. We do feel (relatively) safe using it for everything else, unlike before we installed the filters and UV.

I sure hope UH gets some big funding. Dr. Jarvi is doing amazing work.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid since they had that young man on the Monsters Inside Me show and got RLW.

Mahalo for your input.

Makes me feel more comfortable. One thing for sure, the state and feds need to cut loose some money for comprehensive study.
quote:
Originally posted by Mac2017

Maybe I'm just being paranoid since they had that young man on the Monsters Inside Me show and got RLW.

Mahalo for your input.

Makes me feel more comfortable. One thing for sure, the state and feds need to cut loose some money for comprehensive study.

It is that young man’s mother who had devoted the last 8 years of her life to researching at UH. She did the actual tests with catchment systems.
It was an unfiltered catchment.

They are both very good friends of mine .
How is the young man doing long term? Well I hope
He is doing well.