Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Walkouts
With zero pre-announcment to parents, our children were used as political pawns today to unknowingly bolster a left wing agenda.

My child stated his Kumu told him. "To honor the 17 in Florida" + "Here is paper for posters."
No other explanation or background provided.

He and three other "informed" students chose to remain inside out of the rain.

This little gem of an organization was the driving force behind the majority of the nationwide walkouts and wasting ( at least 1/2 : ) of the students learning time. https://www.womensmarch.com/enough-toolkit

Will they be allowed equal time and voice ?
zero pre-announcment to parents

The school walkouts across Hawaii and the US today have been planned for weeks. It was covered by every legitimate news organization in the aftermath of the recent school shooting in Florida. It was intended to bring attention to the 17 school shootings in 2018* (so far).

If adults can't protect their own children, thank God the children choose to express their feelings on the issue. If the keiki who walked out today are our future, I look forward to better days ahead.

* http://time.com/5168272/how-many-school-shootings/

"We should have a new force called the Space Force. It’s like the Army and the Navy, but for space." - President Donald J. Trump, while addressing the Marines
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If you hadn't heard about this, your head is willingly in the sand.
Never said I did not know or heard of.

School itself just took its liberty with them sans ANY discussion or education on the topics.

Simple as that.
Who isn't against school shootings?
How about this ?

"Instead of walking out of school on March 14, encourage students to walk up - walk up to the kid who sits a lone at lunch and invite him to sit with your group; walk up to the kid who sits quietly in the corner of the room and sit next to her, smile and say Hi; walk up to the kid who causes disturbances in class and ask how he is doing; walk up to your teachers and thank them; walk up to someone who has different views than you and get to know them - you may be surprised at how much you have in common. Build on that foundation instead of casting stones. I challenge students to find 14 students and 3 adults to walk up to on March 14 and say something nice in honor of those who died in FL. But you can start practicing now! #walkupnotout"
they can do that too. but today they're walking out.
+1 Obie voice of reason!
Personally in this instance I think the schools have an obligation to stand back and just let the kids speak for themselves. It appears that that is what happened. Good. Protecting our children from harm should be everyone's agenda.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
And yet the problem remains.....

Puna: Our roosters crow first