Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Public Schools & Teacher Salaries
All we have done is enable teachers to make $100k a year with pensions and benefits that are not available in the private sector.
ps - don't tell me to provide proof of $100k a year teachers.

Hawaii, with it's mythical "$100,000" teacher salaries, is having trouble finding educators needed to fill open positions. Here's the headline from a Hawaii News Now story yesterday:
Hawaii is scrambling to fill teacher vacancies. This analysis on salaries won't help

The cause appears to be low pay, which once adjusted for inflation is rock bottom compared to other states in the US:
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/37746...-wont-help

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
http://www.civilbeat.org/2018/01/heres-w...-for-cops/

ps - just for hopte.. I also posted this on 1/29/18!

Sort thru and look at how many TEACHERS - YES, TEACHERS.. make over 100,000 a year.
One of the reasons why Hawaii has such a difficult time hiring new teachers is that they will not pay an incoming, experienced teacher from the mainland, pay that is commensurate with their current mainland salary. Hawaii insists on paying close to starting wages (as in fresh out of college) to these experienced teachers. I think the main reason behind that is to discourage highly qualified teachers from moving here.
Do a few teachers who've worked for 40 years and teach at a school surrounded by high priced real estate make $100,000 a year? Yes. Is it a large percentage of all teachers, or have we been provided with the percentage of teachers earning over $100,000 a year? No.

glassdoor is a website where people post salaries, so other professionals can make real world comparisons between similar positions in their industry or area of expertise. Here's the page for Hawaii teachers. Don't hold your breath waiting until you find one earning $100,000:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/hawai...O17,24.htm

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

http://www.civilbeat.org/2018/01/heres-w...-for-cops/

ps - just for hopte.. I also posted this on 1/29/18!

Sort thru and look at how many TEACHERS - YES, TEACHERS.. make over 100,000 a year.

I must not be reading it correctly because it looked to me like they give a salary range, not a specific salary for any individual. I stopped scrolling at page 8, when it finally identified the job position of teacher. ROTC teacher, actually, with a salary range of 60-120K.
There sure does look to be a lot of high paid administrators though.
leilanidude @ 11:36:43-
Fully agree.
The likes of Kai Kahele and others as was recently demonstrated, including OHA and DHHL and the "Old Boy" part of the
Democratic Party of Hawaii, are just a "milking machine" off of money imported into Hawaii
by tourism, the Feds (Defense, programs and grants), retirees (pensions, Social Security, investment
returns) as we have no local economy.
They do not want talented and skilled teachers or others (TMT) in the economy here from the mainland.
It will challenge their control. Everyone, try to understand.
Hawaii has such a difficult time hiring new teachers is that they will not pay an incoming, experienced teacher from the mainland... commensurate with their current mainland salary. Hawaii insists on paying close to starting wages (as in fresh out of college) to these experienced teachers

That's not true.
From the DOE website:

Up to six years of non-Department teaching experience is accepted for salary placement. Experience must be officially verified before being credited and must have been in a recognized K-12 public or private school. Certain active military experience, up to four years, may also be used in combination with acceptable teaching experience for salary credit, allowing an individual to enter at a higher step.
http://www.hawaiipublicschools.org/Conne.../home.aspx

QUESTION: I'm having trouble following your argument. You first said Hawaii pays teachers too much (with their $100,000 salaries), now you say it's not enough (to mainland transfers)? Which is it?

HOTPE @ 12:46:41 03/19/2018-
QUESTION: (referring to whom?)
My question was for leilanidude.
But anyone can chime in. Does Hawaii pay teachers too much, or too little?

QUESTION: I'm having trouble following your argument. You first said Hawaii pays teachers too much (with their $100,000 salaries), now you say it's not enough (to mainland transfers)? Which is it?
-------
If I follow your other article, 37 states average less in teacher pay than Hawaii. The mean, would be a better example, but you won't see that posted by the teacher's union here. Hawaii will only give 6 years credit to mainland transfers, even if they are a 20 year veteran with high results. It is all about protecting the local teachers, to the detriment of the students.