Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The weather here is so unfathomable.
Mahalo Tom! Good Episode!
I've only just started watching it!
That was definitely one of the better Nova episodes (Kenney, I'm assuming you watched it online!). Around the twenty minute mark, there was quite a bit about Mauna Loa and its importance in climate research including some nice photography of the place. Overall, it covered just about everything including towards the end stuff I was unaware of, e.g., no-till farming.
PS. Right after the Nova episode, PBS is showing "Bill Nye: Science Guy". It's equally as interesting and the whole thing is currently available for free online.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/billnyescienceguy/
Thursday & Friday forecast: flood watches possible

(to the tune of Let It Snow)
Oh the weather outside's unfathomable
It's almost unnn...imaginable
Every week brings more of the same
Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain

“Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
That little jingle is cute HOTPE!

And MidnightRambler: "There's no such thing as an "average year" here. The average rainfall for any given place is just in between years when there are droughts or floods (usually two or three years of each in a row). That was true even before climate change started to kick in and it can only get worse."

That statement is so true. There sometimes seems to be a pattern for when the droughts hit, (usually late December through February) but not this year and not many other years. I've been keeping track since the early 80's. A couple of years in a row seems to make a trend but nothing to bank on. I've had so many people from the mainland ask, "when is the dry season?" My reply is usually, "There is no dry season" Sometimes the drought is in February, Sometimes it's August and sometimes not at all.

This rainy weather reminds me of how it was in the late 80's. Consistently rainy with brief spells of sunshine. The plants grow really fast because of it.
"I know this isn't about Puna, but there's no Ka'uweb that i know of,"

there IS konaweb, so you might want to join that, too. http://www.konaweb.com/
Agreed, there really is no way to know when the dry season is. The weather here is a lot like the Volcano, difficult to predict, although there are a lot of great minds working on just that. We can only observe the workings of Nature, and react accordingly. Stay inside or use an umbrella, or get out of the way of the lava.

This year has been a lot like the 80’s, but I remember the nights and early mornings being rainy, and having a lot of beautiful sunny days then.

I really can’t remember ever having such a dramatic storm as last week, and we got off easy compared to Kauai. Let’s hope they don’t get a repeat performance by Mother Nature this week.

When I recently moved from Naalehu to upper Puna, I was struck by the loss of all those sunny Kau days/the surety of eventual dryness. Believe me, you don't get the same amount of rain as Puna does, though the amount can still be more then you'd like.
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler

There's no such thing as an "average year" here. The average rainfall for any given place is just in between years when there are droughts or floods (usually two or three years of each in a row). That was true even before climate change started to kick in and it can only get worse.

When exactly did "climate change" kick in?

First arrived here in 1975. Can't say I've seen much in the way of "climate change". Like you said droughts and floods seem to have always been part of the weather picture.