Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge EARTHQUAKE
Royall - there's no such thing as an earthquake occurring at a depth of -0.1 miles - it would mean the earthquake occurred above the surface (the surface being 0). However, determining the depth can be difficult and the error bars quite large. So, with an automated system, the error bar could be larger than the actual depth and the computer spits out -0.1. It's similar to a rounding error. Over time, you may see this get corrected by a human (if they have the time!).

PS. And yes, the closer to the surface the more likely you are to feel it.
a depth of -0.1 miles

I noticed a number of quakes listed at that depth over the past few days.
I thought, wait, what's that? An airquake?

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
No damage so far. 6.9 is the same as the Loma Prieta quake that killed 69 people in the Bay Area! I was in the basement of a seven story hospital within sight of Loma Prieta Peak.
Royall, HOTPE, just found this web page that explains it:

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-does-it-m...e_products
quote:
Originally posted by dan d

Anyone know power outage area besides 15 th hpp?

Dan D
HPP

some friends on 5th near Macau have no power
Air quake seems like thunder but alas TomK and Royall gave us a better understanding of our lack of knowledge in which we are for ever grateful.The hard drive between the ears always has more room for facts and knowledge.
Mrs.Mimosa
Power is back on 5th and Makuu. I called Helco and it sounds like multiple power outages in Hilo and Puna. I can't get any OTA TV stations except PBS.
Thanks TomK!

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Looks like we've had about 50 earthquakes since the 6.9.... hasn't been 2 hours yet.
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

I can't get any OTA TV stations except PBS.

No worries, the local stations are all showing Judge Judy and the Price is Right etc. You'd think somebody would cover this. Thank God for Punaweb.