Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waa Waa paving
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Everybody not impacted by the lava is saying Save the Trees. Anyone who might need Beach road to escape the lava is saying What Trees?

If it comes down to it, then yeah, human lives are greater than trees. If they are in the way for critical public access, then the trees will take the hit. It's not like they are 'ohi'a lehua, either, so it's not a big loss.

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
not impacted by the lava... Save the Trees.
need Beach road to escape... What Trees?

During the 2014 lava flow when Beach Road between Maku'u Drive in HPP and Hawaiian Beaches was widened and graded and cindered, the trees were cut back quite a distance from the roadway. It had formerly been a tree lined tree tunnel, a quiet, shady stretch of road where residents could walk, run or bike. Afterward it became sunny and dusty. I suppose some complained, but others preferred the extra access road between the two subdivisions.

I personally liked the old park like setting before the road improvement, but it was an emergency, and I accepted the necessity for the change as I believe almost everyone else did.

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Speaking of trees, dduring the pahoa flow, they were going to cut down the trees next to the elderly center (which became the ttemp fire station) the locals said no. Now they are glad 4 the shade

Dan D
HPP

HPP
quote:
Originally posted by glassnumbers

If it comes down to it, then yeah, human lives are greater than trees. If they are in the way for critical public access, then the trees will take the hit. It's not like they are 'ohi'a lehua, either, so it's not a big loss.

Aloha Smile

The mango trees in the mango grove forest are protected, and are considered exceptional trees. The goal was to get the road paved without destroying or injuring any of the mango trees, and to also allow easier egress if there is an evacuation.

http://www.cieer.org/discoverplants/exce.../faqs.html

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
Mango trees aren't endemic to Hawaii, maybe we'll see Bananahead out there with a chainsaw Smile
terracore, you and Kapoho Joe going to bail bananahead out? Last I saw County have protected status on the mangos on Beach Road?
Wahine, didn't see you text, but we are on the same page!
Ya know the county could please everyone here, and plant 1000 trees for the loss of trees next to the road. How hard is it to plant some trees? Sheesh...

Oh well... Hard to please everyone but, I think replanting trees would go a long way to show some respect.
Here is an excerpt from a post by Malama o Puna :

"Under this ordinance we saved the 601 Poho‘iki mangos and the 354 old growth mangos lining the Old Government Road from Wa‘a wa‘a to the 1960 Kapoho lava flow."

There are 354 trees there.An exception can't be made for the few that are growing in the road ?

Does anyone beside me think these trees were protected to prevent further development ?

From friends who lived in Waa Waa years ago, it was a much nicer place before the jungle took over.Imagine, everyone had ocean views and good air movement and less mold and a few million fewer mosquitoes.

What is the status of the roadwork, if any currently?