Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Gun Laws
I've seen some discussions of hunting on this and other Big Island forums and am interested since I also own a few. I looked over the Hawaii Gun Laws (http://www.honolulupd.org/info/gunlaw.htm) and am concerned that I would be hard-pressed to meet the registration requirements. There has to be a reasonable way to get my guns registered but, according to that web site, I'd have just three days to haul myself and my guns (not too many, but a few) to the Kona Police Department along with supporting information. I consider myself a considerate and conscientious gun owner, but this is what you need to bring for registration:

1. Valid photo identification.
2. Permit to acquire application.
3. Firearms questionnaire form.
4. Mental health waiver form.
5. Medical Waiver form.
6. Fingerprint card. (First time in-state purchase and $24 FBI fingerprinting fee.)
7. Background check. (Background check includes, but is not limited to, warrant checks, local and national arrest history, local and national criminal history, local and national criminal convictions, any pending cases and TRO's.)
8. Hunters education card or a handgun safety training course affidavit. (Handguns only)
9. Proof of U.S citizenship if born outside the United States.

I have numbers 1 and 9, but nothing in between. Has anyone coming to the Big Island registered their rifles, shotguns, and handguns?

Brian (Fishboy)

Edited by - fishboy on 08/10/2006 15:17:40
Aloha pumehana,
Brian and Mary
Lynnwood, WA\Discovery Harbour
throw them into the container like everyone else does, lol

Hi Brian,

I brought my firearms (shipped in the container) a few months ago, and didn't find the time to register them for about 30 days.

There was no problem whatsoever, and the whole process took about 30 minutes. They do the fingerprints there and the backround check while you wait.

This was at the Hilo Station. Might be different on the other side.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I actually posted this as a bit of a joke. I sincerely believe that everyone should register their guns, but I can't imagine going through all this within three days of my arrival. Just too much.

Brian
Aloha pumehana,
Brian and Mary
Lynnwood, WA\Discovery Harbour