Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the middle of buying lot in Black Sand Sub
Surprise lava. I was about half way through purchasing a lot in the Black Sands subdivision when this started. I can still back out with no losses. What do you guys recommend. It was an expensive lot for that subdivision at $14,000, but a good one.
It totally depends on you, where you are in this point in life and what you want?
Are you okay with building an inexpensive home and possibly losing it? You could build one of those micro homes and put it on wheels and move it if needed.

Did you intend to live there or build and rent, or sell?
Here's a map of the 1955 lava flow.
Black Sands (I believe) is the grid to the left of the Keaouhana Forest Reserve:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156344914569320&set=gm.1697464123676380&type=3&theater

Here are the 1986-2002 flows in the Kalapana area, Black Sands on the upper right side of the map:
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kil...atemap.jpg
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Back out.

In a few months or more you can offer again (if you still want to after seeing what pans out with the eruptions) for a discounted price.

Cheers,
Kirt
Nope... Take the hit on the earnest money deposit and backout....

That's my take.

Good Luck!

Better off buying in Hawaiian Acres, eden rock, fern forest, fern acres, HPP, Hilo etc...etc...
as much as I feel for the present owner, I would have to agree with knieft.
Property values for the whole of Puna will nosedive because of this.
6 months or more after it's over, everyone will forget, especially the non resident buyers who will buy like mad because of the low pricing.
It will be business as usual.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
I think the area in bold below should answer your question:

HAWAIIAN VOLCANO OBSERVATORY STATUS REPORT
U.S. Geological Survey
Tuesday, May 8, 2018, 11:18 PM HST (Wednesday, May 9, 2018, 09:18 UTC)

KILAUEA VOLCANO (VNUM #332010)
19°25'16" N 155°17'13" W, Summit Elevation 4091 ft (1247 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING
Current Aviation Color Code: ORANGE

Lower East Rift Zone Eruption
The intermittent eruption of lava in Leilani Estates in the lower East Rift Zone of K#299;lauea Volcano continues. Activity today was focused on the northeast portion of the fissure area; two new fissure segments (13 and 14) broke ground between fissures 7 and 6. Fissure 13 cut across Leilani Street. By 5:00 pm, fissures 13 and 14 were inactive; late this evening geologists reported loud jetting and booming sounds, and some spattering, at fissure 13. At about 6:00 p.m. reports of booming sounds were reported in the vicinity of Black Sands Beach Subdivision. When HVO geologists arrived soon after, no such sounds were occurring.

Just my opinion, but I would focus any real estate searches in LZ3 or higher.
You guys are great. I want to thank each one of you for the information you've provided. I have backed out and will reconsider in a few months. I hope to be back on the big island again soon, even if just for a visit!
So nice to hear of someone escaping financially intact. Lucky you.
Hello again! Its been some time since I last posted about buying land in the black sand subdivision. There has been so much activity I haven't been able to keep up with whats happening in the puna area. My main question is, is it safe (relatively) to potentially purchase land in the black sand subdivision again? I know there were lots of recommendations to purchase else where, but I really have an affinity for the location and lax building codes. Plus, the price is right. What are your guys opinions? Are people even allowed to go down that way, or into the subdivision?

Thanks in advance.