Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Island Neighbor, Roseanne Barr
George Herbert Walker Bush caught some flak back in 1988 for referring to Jeb's kids as the "little brown ones". Not too offended by the "brown people" of the Big Island remark. Her other racist tweets are a reflection of her and that a-hole in the White House that she admires. I must be sleepwalking cuz I never paid attention that she was living here among us in Kenya.
quote:
Originally posted by taropatch

George Herbert Walker Bush caught some flak back in 1988 for referring to Jeb's kids as the "little brown ones".

Not even the same context, and - at least not publicly - Bush had not made a previous statement comparing a black woman to an ape.

I don't think most people are "offended" by her brown people comment, it merely reinforces what was already known.
Bush could've avoided skin color but he didn't. It was his cute harmless way of referring to the grandkids. As everyone knew he was not a racist so that comment blew over quickly. In Barr's case, we all know what she is. I've gained more respect for GHWB over the years, especially in who he DID NOT vote for in 2016.
@ teropatch..."and that a-hole in the White House that she admires"

"I've gained more respect for GHWB over the years,specially in who he DID NOT vote for in 2016"

is the above trolling?
GHWB better than any of his successors expecially his kid even including the current one. So far at least.
UPDATE:
More back and forth concerning Roseanne's recent comments, from anonymous negative social media postings to her daughter's response. Does anyone know more about Roseanne's market in Honoka'a (see below)? I was surprised to hear she was in the produce business.

The comment ("island full of brown people") didn't sit well with several Big Island residents.

Barr's daughter, Jennifer Pentland, said her mother's sense of humor is being taken out of context. She said her mother is not a racist, she is just misunderstood.

“She loves her community. She loves this island, we all do. I've been here 10 years. I work full time at a little market in Honokaa. She supplies all the produce there, or a lot of the produce for that market. It's a labor of love. She's not getting anything back for it," Pentland said..

Pentland says that in the days since her mother's more recent comments, some people have even resorted to threats on social media ("take her fishing, leave her in the ocean...").

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38772...al-remarks

“Generalized intelligence and mental alertness are the most powerful enemies of dictatorship and at the same time the basic conditions of effective democracy.” - Aldous Huxley
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Honokaa Country Market,

https://www.facebook.com/HonokaaCountry/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/honokaa-country...-honokaa-2

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Honoka...55.4728139

Is the old JJ's Country Market that was bought by Roseanne Barr's daughter and a friend who co-own it.
I find it interesting that the only really negative review on Yelp was from someone in Emeryville, CA whose complaint was political and had nothing to do with the Market, its offerings, or customer service.
My friends and I spent our teenage years in CA basking in the sun because we loved being tan (brown) - the darker the better. But I guess when you call a Hawaiian person "brown" it is taken as insulting because Roseanne said it? I think she has a hilarious sense of humor and if she called me "a white trash ol' lady" I would laugh more than be offended. My family and I say terribly insulting things to each other because it makes us all laugh. Half my family is Hawaiian and we all love each other. I think Roseanne is not racist - she just needs to control her comments because she's famous.
the only really negative review on Yelp... whose complaint was political and had nothing to do with the Market

It looks like a nice market. It's too bad Roseanne's daughter has to get drawn into the fracas. I find it commendable when the children of (presumably) wealthy celebrities make their own way in the world, find an occupation that suits their interest and especially in this case, a Big Island connection to the land, the farms, and the ranches up Hamakua way.

But I guess there's always one Yelp reviewer who can't imagine a world in which beef cattle and their subsequent burgers and steaks, formerly wandered the pastures of West Hawaii without mooing their support for the opinions of a store owner's mother.

“Generalized intelligence and mental alertness are the most powerful enemies of dictatorship and at the same time the basic conditions of effective democracy.” - Aldous Huxley
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves