Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
My windy app shows the eye moving NW.

So as it creeps closer to the island chain is it getting closer or moving away from Puna?

Edited to add this.

Even though the eye is moving that way, the amount of moisture that is following that eye looks ridiculous on that app.
Could be days of rain to come.
I am sure that the area that some kupuna grew up in may not have experienced all of what the island has to offer, but I do know that kupuna in 1871 reported on a major storm that created damage that could only equate to a major hurricane direct hit to our island and Maui, in many different Hawaiian Language newspapers, that are only now being re-visited in the Nupepa Project....
If the kupuna that one was raised with were unaware of these reports, they would have much differing ideas.... but to hold onto these ideas when reading a thread that has links to this research, and shows that those views are no longer valid, is maddening to those of us that have worked on the Nupepa Project... and could be a deadly assumption when dealing with a storm like Lane!
Top wind speeds now 130 and falling. Very good sign indeed. Now all we need is all these waves of water to start slowing down.
You all should all thank me. I spent several hours preparing my generator, getting gas, running extension cords, etc. That was pretty much a guarantee that the lights wouldn’ even blink. 9.08 inches yesterday, 4 so far today in Orchardland andhighest wind 11 mph.
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

My windy app shows the eye moving NW.

So as it creeps closer to the island chain is it getting closer or moving away from Puna?

Edited to add this.

Even though the eye is moving that way, the amount of moisture that is following that eye looks ridiculous on that app.
Could be days of rain to come.

Yes, lots of rain to come. It's getting closer while moving north.
& I use the speed bump for a very good reason.... high-top convection storms travel over mountains much like a vehicle over a speed bump... those with little circulation can pass over with very little mountain effect, other than the expected loss of water vapor from the orographic lifting, those with slightly faster circulation can get messed up a bit, like a vehicle going 50-70MPH over a speed bump, but still may travel on... those circulating crazy fast like a major hurricane, may get messed up, or may just bump on over, with barely a notice of the speed bump....
Each storm approach is different & the mountain effect is different, but mountains throughout the tropical area that cyclonic storms exist, have not totally protected islands, isthmuses nor larger land masses from the effects of cyclonic storms & to plan on a couple of mountains to protect this island from the storm effects, when there is proof that they have not in the past... may not be the wisest plan... but if that is the plan of choice for some when dealing with current & future cyclonic storms, when our oceans are now warmer than in the past, fueling more cyclonic storms...

I am glad that others will take the time, research the data from our kupuna & learn that this island has not been totally protected in the past, & plan accordingly...
"The expectation is
that Lane will weaken due to the combined and cumulative effects of
debilitating shear and the interruption of the circulation due to
proximity to the high mountains of Maui and the Big Island."

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/arc...1808231502
"debilitating shear and the interruption of the circulation due to
proximity to the high mountains of Maui and the Big Island."

Uh whoa. The mountains have a significant effect?
lol I'm so confused.
There is a CUMULATIVE effect... the DEBILITATING shear is upper wind shear that tears at the top and is debilitating, added to the mountain effect..
Kinda like parking a massive jacked up truck over a speed bump.... the CUMULATIVE effect is a totally messed up car.. the speed bump did not do it alone!

ETA: Hawaii is the only place I have been where there are mountain & cyclonic storms & some of the population thinks that the mountains will keep the storms away & totally protect them....

Every other area I have been to seems to get that the mountains have some effect, but WILL NOT keep the storm totally away, will not totally protect them & believes that the storms still can hit their area...
& even with proof that their elders did report on the fact that the mountains did not keep a storm from hitting their island, they still believe that the mountains are the total stopping effect....
LOL!
16.5" of wet from 3pm yesterday until 7am this morning, Auli'i end of 40th in OLE. I'm pretty sure this falls into the ' significant moisture ' range on the rain gauge.