Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
Lane dumped a boatload of its` water vapor over the last hour:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/tpac/h5-loop-wv.html
Whoa! The storm is vastly weakened, and on KITV 4 Mayor Caldwell came on and announced his thanks and he said very clearly, he wanted to thank Mauna Kea.

Hmm more than a speed bump me thinks. Mystery continues...

Edited to add latest Windyty info:

Shows that same avocado just sitting over us. At least in the green color now and not the heavier red area. It seems the storm lifted only gradually in its position north toward Maui.

Also the wind shear, trade winds, possibly the Mountains?, cut the storm into two (so to say) and it could possibly send even more wetness our way according to Pete Caggiano, KITV
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

I just heard it's slowed even more to moving 2 miles per hour now!!

I can probably commando crawl faster than that.

someone get one of those cop speed readers and lets test out this theory! [:o)]

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
he wanted to thank Mauna Kea.

Meteorologist-Geologist-Volcanologist-Mayor Kirk Caldwell better not forget to thank Mauna Loa. Look on the map Cartographer Caldwell. You’ll see Mauna Loa was the closest of our two highest mountains to Hurricane Lane these past few days. It’s farther south and west than Mauna Kea.
We don’t need some off island mayor pissing off our volcano with the fattest tub o’ magma. (But, he knew that.) Better gin up an apology real quick Mr. Mayor, before you start something. For our sake, if not yours.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
According to the real meteorologists:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/arc...1808250323

"It took awhile...but once the 35 to 40 kt of shear began to
impact the core convection from Lane, the battle ended quickly. A
very helpful AMSR2 89 GHz microwave pass over Lane at 2259 UTC
showed the circulation center was now mainly comprised of low and
mid level clouds completely detached from the remaining pockets of
deep convection to the northeast of the center.
"
Interesting to note that few here have noticed that the moisture getting to those on the east side, those of us in Puna, is traveling in from the SE... Lanes storm bands would be coming from the SW.... all week I have posted TPAC links & referenced them... they show, not a war of storm vs Mountain, but a different story.... those vague "avocados" have been fully developed storm cells with cyclonic starts... but never fully forming into an outright tropical depression...most likely due to the proximity of Lane...

The upper shear, that started descending back to its normal omega loop near the islands also earlier this week, is back to its` "home turf"& is stalling all of this tropical water vapor right here in Puna...where what our geology really does well, is lift up that super soaked air until it condenses into the boatloads of rain we have had...
Exactly, the mountains help to cause such excessive rainfall. Thank you, Mr. Mayor. Secondly, the mountains may also have helped keep Lane close to the islands due to weakening the steering winds when Lane was SW of the Big Island and helping it move northward.
"Advisory: Route 130 from Keaau High School to Hawaiian Paradise Park is CLOSED due to severe weather and flooding."
"Advisory: Route 130 from Keaau... to Hawaiian Paradise Park is CLOSED

Puna PMAR - air mattress & a 2x4 as a paddle
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

"Advisory: Route 130 from Keaau High School to Hawaiian Paradise Park is CLOSED due to severe weather and flooding."

My email said “to the area of Hawaiian Paradise Park”.

I know the police must be spread very thin and tired, but really...? The _area_ of HPP?

Stay safe, and watch for rabid trucks, or better yet stay home and keep up to date on windy.com via EW... Wink

Cheers,
Kirt