Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geothermal Power, and Puna Geothermal Venture
The whole plant could be detachable from the wells and able to be relocated. This was recommended by USGS as a lava flow mitigation tactic (someone have the link on hand?) but was not adopted. Maybe the insurance makes it worth more to do less?
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

geochem - those analyses in Table 1 were of scale material collected from various places in the PGV power plant - not from brine samples.

Thanks geochem, clearly my mistake. I felt like something was amiss in my early morning post - caffeine first from now on. Smile

However, I would still question if PGV brines really contain that much less of the elements you mentioned as compared to Geyser's geothermal field. Pulling from a better (if old) source on PGV brine analysis, arsenic is given as 0.09 - 0.4 ppm, compared to 0.2 ppm at Geysers, mercury is given as <0.001 - <0.05 ppm, compared to 0.005 ppm. Ammonia is however much, much lower at PGV at <0.01 - 0.1 ppm compared to 194 ppm.

For these samples from these early wells at PGV, arsenic could be twice as high and mercury ten times as high as compared to the values given for Geyser's, yes? Seems hard to say we don't find high levels of toxic elements like arsenic at PGV given these values.

https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/b...tement.pdf

geochem - if that was the [gold and silver] concentration in the brine, there would be a lot more geothermal wells in Puna than there are today...

We all know a lot more geothermal wells in Puna is the goal regardless of if there is enough literal gold in dem der wells, right? That 500MW and inter-island cable plan just doesn't die easily I guess.

It's always nice to chat geothermal with you. I'm sure we'll being hearing more about this in the near future.

Bumping this in the hope Geochem sees it - got to make sure he grades my corrections, or I'll have to dig wells for a living Wink

Last bump as geochem was just here, then have to consider this avoiding the question?
quote:
Originally posted by SBH

quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

all you worried pickleheads please read...

What’s the difference between a picklehead and a bananahead?

Shelf life .
"""I was surprised at how Sherry handled the interview, knowing how she has come across as anti-PGV in the past. This was quite informative and has some really good explanations of H2S and SO2.""""

most anti-PGV are clueless about how they actually work, thus the reason for being so anti... fear! .. if THEY all went back to HS and took a science class or two, instead of doing ayahuasca or shrooms, THEY may not be so frightened, in their reality...
ie. again... in NorCal at the Lake/Napa/Sonoma County line there are 22 geothermal power plants, drawing steam from more than 350 wells... in Puna we had 1 plant with 11 wells, ... but the main difference is we ALWAYS have 2,385++ paranoid wwoofers/punatics who are constantly duped on every conspiracy ever imagined!

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Yeah, and those CalPine plants have their share of problems:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/20526...or-tremors

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/why-are-there-...e_products

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...rthquakes/

Popular Science says "Ultimately the benefits of geothermal might be too great to give up."

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2...kes#page-3
Um, no it says "Ultimately, the benefits of enhanced geothermal might be too great to give up." (emphasis mine)

The article is mostly talking about seismicity issues caused by enhanced geothermal, and the trade-offs involved. I won't go as far as to accuse you of being part of the cover-up conspiracy (although I cant rule it out either Wink, but misquoting doesn't do your argument much good. At least some advice in the PopSci article does rings true for here as well - "As long as you do this far away from inhabited areas, there shouldn't be a problem," Giardini says.
Enhanced geothermal has very little to do with Puna...?

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Kirt
As long as geothermal energy is tied to the price of oil, what's in it for Puna? We should be reaping some benefit.
knieft - Enhanced geothermal has very little to do with Puna...? Or am I missing something?

Oh, I'm sure you are missing plenty - but you'll need to ask tada what their misquote about enhanced geothermal has to do with Puna (other than it being yet more misinformation proffered by likely government paid provocateurs whose nefarious deeds done now slink back into the shadows Wink

What I am missing is an answer to how twice the arsenic and ten-times the mercury found at PGV as compared to the Geyser's geothermal fields could be called not "high levels of toxic elements" by Dr. Don Thomas during his interview with Sherri Bracken. But again, probably just more misinformation used to promote the development of geothermal here in Puna.