Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruggles Excused
PaulW, I keep coming back to the serious marijuana charges her father faces. In that context, questioning the legality of the State of Hawaii might be part of a "nullification" strategy, but it's not a good defense.
kalakoa - She would be better off sitting in Council but claiming "conflict of interest" for every vote.

I'm not sure this is allowed - it sounds like a yes or no vote is required (silence is conveniently considered a yes vote).

randomq - Ironyak, they specifically ruled on Hawaii (states) right to own and sell ceded lands, and the legality of the ceding.

If you read the transcript, the justices continually and repeatedly confine the case to whether the Apology Resolution in fact changed anything with regards to the State's right to sell ceded lands (which they ruled it did not). There is no discussion on the 1893 overthrow nor the 1898 wartime annexation of Hawaii. Like it or not, Hawaii has taken an almost unprecedented path to becoming a state (Texas is the closest comparison), and the legality of many of the steps involved were questioned at the time, and continue to be today as well.

Now the U.S. doesn't have much of a track record of letting legal issues get in the way of its interests (which is unlikely to change for Hawaii), but at least some are willing to ask the tough questions. I too cannot see a rational ulterior motive for Jen, so I consider her statements on the matter to be sincere, although IMHO there is a bit of a F-U going on to a council that has been quite hostile to her and her requests for Puna during her tenure (which earns her extra points in my book Smile
Oh Rob, what have you done? Got lots of people demanding truth from County government (even if it is illegally occupying the Hawaiian Kingdom).

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018...t-ruggles/

Video: http://hawaiicounty.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=1&clip_id=1185

ETA: While many read the same prepared statement, I recommend at least listening to Claire starting at 1h58m30s for a very humble and poignant individual testimony.
As the story says, she received the letter she asked for, but now she wants another letter. This could go on forever.
Jen asked for a legal opinion on the matter, not a few sentence memo. As I mentioned previously, if County Counsel can render a 5 page paper as to why they can't provide a grant for a community center in a Puna subdivision, no doubt they can do better for this topic than "why worry? it's all good brah."
lots of people demanding truth from County government (even if it is illegally occupying the Hawaiian Kingdom).
Council members didn’t discuss the testimony, but when questioned after the meeting, Chairwoman Valerie Poindexter said she understood the testifiers to be supporting Bill 160.

Hawaiian Kingdom testifiers at the council meeting made Punaweb thread hijackers look like a bunch of pikers.

I'm still curious what Ruggles long term strategy is. Does this council testimony now (inadvertently) provide her with a base? If not, I don't know what her other skills are, but leaving the council on such a decisive note (unless something in her position is resolved) may make it difficult for her to find work in the future. The Kingdom of Hawaii at the moment doesn't appear to have many paid job openings, and the position she's taken may alienate a majority of her future potential employers, coworkers, clients or customers. Even those in favor of her stance may find the undefined ripples swirling around the pond waters she's muddied, a disadvantage in the workplace. A worker with keen focus and clarity is generally preferred.

What's up Jen?

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
From her website: "As a community organizer I believe every campaign I’ve organized has seen success because I listen to and uphold the will of the people." I never knew it was the will of the people for her to get $70K a year for doing nothing.
She's not going to be very popular with all her constituents she's trying very hard to put out of VR business. That's a lot of devastated folks all of a sudden losing their livelihood and being threatened with outrageous fines and liens on their homes per Jennifer Ruggles council suggestions. Instead she wants to support an invalid fantasy government of the distant past. I always knew she was a wild card, Dad's facing felony convictions, fruit doesn't fall to far from the tree.
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

... an invalid fantasy government ...

All evidence shows that the USA is the invalid fantasy government. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please share. Obviously this excludes the "might makes right" argument.
If you have any evidence to the contrary, please share.

Please see my post on the previous page (page 4) of this thread, in part:

On January 24, 1895 Queen Liliuokalani signed the final document abdicating her throne and swearing allegiance to the Republic of Hawaii, as well as an Oath of Loyalty to the Republic of Hawaii. It's not a popular document among Kingdom of Hawaii idealists which is why they prefer to talk about the events of 1893...

Senior members of the Trump Administration described Trump's mood Wednesday as "volcanic." Wed, Sept 6, 2018
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves