Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
It's in a hurry to visit Maui, starting tonight. The forward speed of the storm has doubled today.
Last couple `o hours (19-21UTC) circulation speed seemed to increase, forming a visible eye-like formation, along with forward speed, but with a huge amount of moisture sheared off. Olivia is now into the 27C waters, heading quickly to the 28C waters off of Maui`s east coast...
But of course, it must be the magic mountains pushing this storm towards Maui....
"The forward speed of the storm has doubled today."

That's a good thing. Double the speed translates to half the time it will be in our area. Assuming it maintains that speed.

"But of course, it must be the magic mountains pushing this storm towards Maui...."

Ah, but don't forget that Maui has a magic mountain of it's own.
"Seeing as how the wind field on
the south side of Olivia is rather compact, it is possible we may
be able to discontinue the Tropical Storm Warning for the Big
Island later today if the westward motion continues."

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/arc...1809112112
Rejoice!
The people studying these things for a living say that the mountains can help break up the storms when they strike, but the major players in their approaches and strengths are atmospheric ridges/troughs plus wind shear.

That's interesting.

I'm wondering if the presence of the mountains can have an effect on the atmospheric ridges/troughs plus wind shear in the area?
I'm wondering if the presence of the mountains can have an effect...

Imagine you’re a private in the Army.
The person with the most influence is General Windshear, but you never see him.
Next in line is Colonel Atmospheric Ridge, who oversees day to day operations on the base, but you never see him either.
Then there is Sergeant Mountain - - a big man, incredibly imposing, he towers over you while making it abundantly clear that he is the boss of you, and don’t ever forget it.

Who appears to have the greatest influence over your life? Who really does?

Senior members of the Trump Administration described Trump's mood Wednesday as "volcanic." Wed, Sept 6, 2018
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Pat Robertson better watch out, he might anger the Hurricane gods.
"I'm wondering if the presence of the mountains can have an effect on the atmospheric ridges/troughs plus wind shear in the area?"

Ridges and troughs are extremely large atmospheric regions of high and low pressure respectively. The location and the pressure difference between high and low-pressure systems are what create the steering winds for tropical cyclones and are not affected by the mountains. Wind shear, one of the main things that destroy hurricanes, essentially by decapitating them, generally occurs above 20,000-feet and is not affected by the mountains.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

"Seeing as how the wind field on
the south side of Olivia is rather compact, it is possible we may
be able to discontinue the Tropical Storm Warning for the Big
Island later today if the westward motion continues."

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/arc...1809112112

But it's slipping further south and the storm warning is back on...