Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii's economy . . . or lack thereof
With remote working becoming more accepted

People can already telecommute from somewhere cheaper/easier to live, with better amenities.

Expect a County bill to prevent telecommuting from Ag lots as well.

An SUP is already (technically) required for this, or (if R-zoned) a "home occupation".
giving students opportunities to learn and develop their skills that will help the island, but a minority group wants to destroy those opportunities.

We recently had an eminent scientist, one of the foremost in her field visit Hilo. Where did she get her start?

* Hilo High graduate 1981
* UH-Hilo

The young scholars, researchers, and professionals of the future live on Big Island, we have the basic facilities, the TMT is offering to improve what already exists. All we need do is encourage them. No one improves their own situation by dragging down everyone around them.

She's (Jennifer Doudna) also one of the world's most recognized scientists in the world, after co-inventing CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing, which is seen by many as the biggest breakthrough in biology since the discovery of DNA’s double-helix structure more than 60 years ago.
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/39132...homecoming

On Tuesday night, 9/18/2018 Hawaii Senator Mazie Hirono had another message for the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee “Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing.” She added in another related comment, “Bull$hit.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This is the sort of thing CRISPR can be used for: malaria eradication

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45628905

But wait till the Luddites hear the words "gene editing" and wait for the boulders to be rolled into the road.
Mmmm, gene editing. What could possibly go wrong ??? If you had actually *been* at Jennifer Doudna's talk, you'd have heard her readily admit that there are plenty of scary uses CRISPr can be put too. All quite readily, since the tech is so simple.

But, go ahead, keep believing that science and technology only have upsides ! Must be nice to live in that fantasy world.

ETA: I'm an engineer (electrical). I hope the TMT gets built, both because I think it's an awesome project, and I'd like to work there. I think there are better ways to get electricity than geothermal. I'm not thrilled at all the chemicals we're pouring into our food system.
Does that make me a luddite ? I'm dying to know...
What are the better ways to get electricity? That could be an economic boost for the island, if it's better than geothermal.

Sure, risks involved with nearly every technology, electricity included. But Luddites want to stop anything they can't understand, and that covers a lot of ground.
"It will still be at least 5-10 years before we consider testing any mosquitoes with gene drive in the wild, but now we have some encouraging proof that we're on the right path."

From a link above .
Mmmm, gene editing. What could possibly go wrong ??? If you had actually *been* at Jennifer Doudna's talk, you'd have heard her readily admit that there are plenty of scary uses CRISPr can be put too.

All methods of generating electricity create some form of pollution. People who use electricity can put it to all kinds of scary and nefarious uses. Do we ban electricity? Everything in the world has positive as well as negative aspects.

On Tuesday night, 9/18/2018 Hawaii Senator Mazie Hirono had another message for the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee “Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing.” She added in another related comment, “Bull$hit.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
But Luddites want to stop anything they can't understand..

Luddites? You have Luddites? Oh man, I feel sorry for you. And hope, I mean seriously man, I hope you get some help soon. Though I doubt there are any professionals on island that can deal with such a rare, and unfortunately, often fatal disease. Maybe on Oahu? Have you looked? Though I suspect you're going to have to go to the mainland for that. Do you need help. Should we start a gofundme campaign?
Luddites. The term has evolved from machine hating--very apt for its time. Today Luddites are reflexive skeptics of many things humans do to modify the environment for public benefit.

Environmentalists are probably the biggest Luddites. You want to dig a big hole on the shoreline and let the water in so people can swim? I don't care if you think marine life will come in and colonize your man-made tidepool and all will be fine. It's a degradation. Man can't improve on nature.

Geothermal energy; that's even worse. It can never be done safety; the process invariably poisons the air. GMO food, worse again. Frankenfood.

And now modifying mosquitos for malaria eradication? Scientists won't be able to account for and control unexpected outcomes. Your research is getting out of hand.
Mmmm, gene editing. What could possibly go wrong ???

Good luck convincing some of these guys Jeremy. I agree with you but will not jump in on this one simply because it looks like another of the many conversations I have had with them. They're unswayable.