Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii's economy . . . or lack thereof
Mmmmmm, putting electrical power into people’s homes. What could possibly go wrong ???
Heavier-than-air flying machines, what could possibly go wrong?

Sometimes people need to overcome their instinctual fear of the new. What about: What could go very right and benefit millions of people who happen to not be you?
Heavier-than-air flying machines, what could possibly go wrong?

One need only look at the Hindenburg to see how true that statement is.
“Oh the humanity!”

On Tuesday night, 9/18/2018 Hawaii Senator Mazie Hirono had another message for the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee “Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing.” She added in another related comment, “Bull$hit.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
So, I had a reply all ready to send, and realized we've wandered quite far off the topic, so...

Back to economics, and more specifically, local resources: Can anyone enlighten me as to why property deeds stipulate "Title to all mineral and metallic mines reserved to the State of Hawaii" ???

I thought it was basalt all the way down.
Jeremy,

Educated guess here...because the author of the document copy/pasted it from a simalacrum of a different states deed.
Can anyone enlighten me as to why property deeds stipulate "Title to all mineral and metallic mines reserved to the State of Hawaii" ?

I agree with rainyjim.. as to the possible source.. but it is not trivial none-the-less.

From: https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uploa...s-FY17.pdf

During Fiscal Year (FY) 2016-2017, a total of $1,202,832.92 in geothermal royalties was received from Puna Geothermal Venture (PGV). In accordance with statutory provisions, $360,849.88 (30%) was distributed to the County of Hawaii. Additionally, $240,566.58 (20%) was distributed to the Office of Hawaiian Affairs. Geothermal royalties for FY 2016-2017 were based on the power production and sale of 276,029 megawatts to Hawaii Electric Light Company (HELCO) at an annual hourly average production of 31.5 megawatts.
Thanks rainyjim - seems all too plausible. And glinda, should I be surprised that DLNR can't get their units right ? Seems it should read 276,029 megawatt-hours. Never mind, don't answer that !
Jeremy - remember that steam is considered part of the mineral rights to Glinda's point.

It's possible some of the differentiated lavas we saw come up LERZ this time might have had some mineral concentration if they sat long enough. Or at some point one might see some gem grade peridot or something else come up. Not sure there are economic concentrations of minerals / metals in any of the geothermal brines.

Mining is seldom a long term solution to the economy. Agriculture is subject to world market competition. It's an information economy, I certainly would love to set up a software development center in Puna, except the power cost might kill me if I couldn't get enough solar panels or windmills. But there must be enough geeks who would like to work on island time.

My other idea was agricultural, but would require some legal work and permits - even had a name and a logo.... UPP... and a burlap bag with a 5 pointed leaf.

Benny
Benny
Agriculture is subject to world market competition.

Thereby putting Hawaii at a severe disadvantage.

there must be enough geeks who would like to work on island time

Island-style timelines don't work well for clients. Those geeks already consulting from Hawaii are carefully "hiding in plain sight" to avoid County/State permitting/taxation.
"Those geeks already consulting from Hawaii are carefully "hiding in plain sight" to avoid County/State permitting/taxation."

Judging by what's happening with vacation rentals, I think you're right.
But still might be worth a try to set up a software center. Make some money until someone shuts it down.
still might be worth a try to set up a software center

The usual "business hostile" rules apply:

- non-C-zoned land requires extensive and costly SUP
- C-zoned land must be leased from one of the "large local landowners"

This is before you even get to the "employer" requirements (taxes, insurance, workplace safety).

Part of the recurring pattern: government claims "${THING} is important to our economy" while refusing to provide any kind of support for that ${THING}.

Best example is agriculture: development is bad because it reduces the available farmland ... unless it's near the rail, because "transit-oriented" development is always good.