Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SB1069: Helicopter Noise
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2019/0...oise-bill/

Issue getting some attention because it's affecting people on Oahu, but of course State has no jurisdiction.

...the bill might be subject to a preemption challenge under the federal Anti-Head Tax Act, which the AG says provides that a state "may not levy or collect a tax, fee, head charge, or other charge on -- (1) an individual traveling in air commerce; (2) the transportation of an individual traveling in air commerce; (3) the sale of air transportation; or (4) the gross receipts from that air commerce or transportation."

Rules and laws. For everyone. Except you.
"The bill also establishes a helicopter noise-canceling technology system special fund."

Only the Hawaii Legislature would establish a special fund for technology that doesn't exist !
helicopter noise-canceling technology system
technology that doesn't exist !

Or maybe for those who complain enough, they get a discounted pair of Bose noise canceling headphones? Added benefit at no charge, they work on politicians too.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There were other hilarious things in the article. I wondered if it was really an elaborate April Fool's joke.

"The company's not gonna just quit flying," said Eric Lincoln, the Director of Operations for Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. "We employ over 300 people in this state. Paid a significant amount of tax."

Roughly translated, "we got ours, screw you".

Hawai'i County Mayor Harry Kim, who has tried to find resolutions to the tour helicopter noise issue on the Big Island, testified on the amended bill:

I gather that House Judiciary decided to remove the provisions of SB 1069, SD1, which prohibited the flights of commercial tour helicopters within one mile of a residential neighborhood and limited the hours of a helicopter's operations. I regret that such prohibitions have been deleted, but must defer to your best judgment in this matter as to what can survive legal scrutiny and the legislative process.

I think this one translates to "I got mine, screw my constituents." Really too bad, because it would have been entertaining to watch the helicopter operators claim that "those neighborhoods aren't residential".
it would have been entertaining to watch the helicopter operators claim that "those neighborhoods aren't residential"
------------
"AG" zoned.
Only the FAA can regulate air traffic. The state and county are just wasting time and money instead of doing the jobs they are Supposed to do
"Only the FAA can regulate air traffic."

True, but there is precedent for local governments regulating air traffic noise.
Only the FAA can regulate air traffic.

Only the State can charge for parking at the airport. Charge $20 for the first hour, diiscounted if you can show a boarding pass.

state and county are just wasting time and money

Hey, at least they're pretending to be concerned.
bring the FAA into the hearing process and ask the questions directly...that fella deferred to the FAA with everything. The congress people were having a conversation with the wrong people