Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelves at Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. lately?
no place for the dealers to get any except from the open market.

Exactly right terracore.
Most people in Puna are not precious metal dealers, nor are they likely to buy 1 kg bars to stash in a safe deposit box, so they won’t be buying direct. (And the mints have a premium on their price for direct purchases anyway). If you’re worried about the collapse of society, 1/10th oz coins might be easiest to exchange for toilet paper once we reach Armageddon. You can buy plenty on eBay. Yes, there’s a slight premium, but if you think gold prices are going to skyrocket, the premium today won’t matter in a few weeks.

If you want gold for an investment, there are gold ETF’s, 1 oz bullion bars on eBay, 1 oz coins, etc. The same comment about premiums and skyrocketing prices (above) applies.

Kitco.com is a good source for constantly updated spot prices. Use spot prices as a starting point for your eBay price bids.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"If you want gold for an investment"

Don't forget shares in mining stocks. The price of mining is relatively fixed except for the cost of petroleum (which is in the gutter) so the "spot" price can't dip too far below the cost of mining (or the mining stops) so when the price of gold goes up the profit margins for the mining companies go from close to "break even" to HUGE and the value of the stock can rise exponentially while the cost of gold only rises in a more linear fashion. I'm no expert in this field but I do know individuals who work in the mining industry. Most gold doesn't come from a "gold mine" it's a metal that is extracted while they are mining for something "consumable" like silver or copper.
Did early morning fresh food shopping this morning at Target. Didn’t bother looking for tp, etc. but fresh food was mostly in stock as usual (Target is usually out of anything on good sale even before 19.)

No fresh ground beef though.

Made my first tip to check out worker. Only a five spot, but was more appreciated by the clerk than the three thank you’s she got from the people ahead of me in line. Hope she doesn’t contract 19 from the grungy bill...

I slipped it discretely and said, “trying to start a new tradition”. After her look of confusion melted into appreciation and a strangely intoned thank you.

In the big picture, it was probably a silly feel good indulgence for me, but I will continue to do it...since I can. My own form of virtue signaling, I guess. Wink

Cheers,
Kirt
They really should have "pandemic tip jars" for the service workers. They could even expand on it such that if somebody can't afford all their groceries they can use money from the jar. Sort of like the thing stores used to do with pennies. So if you contribute to the jar you are both giving to the worker or somebody who has suffered financially because of the pandemic. Problem is, just like the Salvation Army has learned... most people don't have a lot of cash or change anymore because so much purchasing is done with plastic.

In Mexico it's customary to tip the kid who bags your groceries (somebody explained they work for tips only but I don't know for a fact that is true) but I didn't realize it the first time I bought there because there was no jar. So basically I stiffed the kid and felt like an ass when somebody explained the custom to me.

quote:
Originally posted by terracore

They really should have "pandemic tip jars" for the service workers.

Nice! Hope it happens. And let it be tax free income as well. And someway to share with other workers (stockers, etc.)

I suppose a way to add a percentage to electronic transactions would be a bit complicated, but if this goes on for 18 months or more...

Cheers,
Kirt
Home Depot has temporarily limited it's hours, now closing at 6:00pm. Opening hours are the same.

I read that some Costcos are not accepting any returns of toilet paper, paper towels, rice, sanitizing wipes, water, or lysol. So anybody who bought a bunch on speculation will be stuck with their purchases.
toilet paper... anybody who bought a bunch on speculation will be stuck with their purchases.

At least that investment will go down the toilet a lot slower than their stocks & bonds.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

quote:
Originally posted by Obie

Gold is used in electrical contacts. The airbag system in your car has gold in it too.

There is a small amount of gold in an iPhone too. It is recovered during the recycling process. Silver is actually a better electrical conductor than gold. But silver oxidizes, so in circuits where the conductor has to have contact with the air, gold or copper is used.

ETA: If your car ever needs the catalytic converter replaced, make sure you tell the mechanic you want to keep it. I sold mine on eBay to a buyer who knew how to extract the platinum and other precious metals out of it.

Is Big Island Coin sold out of gold or silver coins? Anyone ever check out their prices and availability of coins?
I've never been there. There is a pawn shop in Keaau that buys and sells gold. I've never been there either but the daughter sold a gold necklace that she inherited there and they gave her "spot" price for it, so at least their buying price seemed fair. It was a number of years ago.
Someone’s got a 2013 Nissan van for sale on Craigslist.

Comes with “free” toilet paper and hand sanitizer.....

It’s on Oahu, so don’t get too excited!

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Puna: Our roosters crow first