Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelves at Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. lately?
We have a sealed bottle of Walmart's brand of tartar sauce and we have no fish.

How could I give that to you ?

I'm pretty sure it's do-able but how ?

Could we meet at mailboxes by the HPPOA office at a certain time ?
One thing I suggest people do when they need to shop for groceries is to go to google maps, find the store they want to use and click on it. In most cases, Google provides a bar graph of how busy the store usually is and then shows how busy it is currently along with a message e.g., busy, less busy than normal etc. I've found it very useful.

Incidentally, Safeway is sanitizing their carts so don't pick up a cart in the parking lot. As you walk into the store you are given one that has just been cleaned. I'm not sure what other places are doing with regard to sanitizing carts.
Obie, by the time I saw your very generous offer, meine Frau had whipped up a quite passable version of tartar sauce that we both enjoyed. Thank you so much for your kindness!
Just want to say that behind the scenes, Obie has been a wonderfully generous and helpful person to many. He probably won't like me saying this, but thank you, Obie, for all your generous efforts to help your neighbors and especially the kids in Pahoa.
Got an early start today.
Stopped by Pahoa Long's about 8:45am.
They now have a 9am opening time.
While waiting, I realized that I had forgotten my wallet.
So, made a quick run home to get it.

Numbers in the store were light.
Still can't find alcohol.
They've finally got some acetaminophen in, Tylenol's generic, got a big box.
I don't use it, but M'Lady wanted some.
Shelves in all stores have been empty until today.
People have been passing NSAIDs up, always plenty on the shelves.

I finally decided to go to town, needed to check for a item at Wally's World, much to my reluctance.
From what I've seen in there, I consider it to be a prime place to get an infection.
At first I was ticked off that they made me walk 1/2 way around the building to find the opening of the entry lane, then back to the store entrance, just to walk right in.
It was early.
Maybe later in the day there may be entry lines as they do seem to be trying to limit the numbers in the store.

I found the item I was there to get.
I'm sure I only found it because of how early I was.
It always seems to be gone from the shelves by afternoon.

Decided to look around the store and did pick up a few other things.
The brand of cat food we usually buy was gone.
That could lead to problems.
I used to buy good expensive cat food online.
We'd mix it with a small amount of a cheaper generic cat food.
The cats got finicky and wouldn't eat the expensive food.
So, I quit buying it.

M'Lady began to give them cans of wet food.
Then, they began to turn their noses up at that.
Now all we give them is what they want, one of the Purina "Happy Meals" quality of dried food.
They do supplement with geckos, anoles and rats, though.
But, they will not accept good quality food from us.

Any one seen bottles of alcohol, 70-91%, around?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, nothing left.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Has anyone braved Costco lately?

Wyline
Wyline
Went to Longs in Keaau....had to wait 20 minutes outside before entering to get a bottle of wine. Went to Hilo to find flour and yeast. Nothing at Target and Safeway....found the flour at KTA (after waiting about 10 minutes in line), went to Foodland to find the yeast (nothing).....Went to Malama in Pahoa(nothing)...finally found yeast at the Pahoa Health Food Store. They actually were sold out but gave me a package they pulled from the shelf and hadn't tossed yet because it expired. IT WORKED!!!
Today, I drove for the first time in 20 days. I ran out of coffee creamer this morning and with The Peak approaching it seemed as good a time as any to load up the van for a trip to Hilo. I brought 4 water bottles for a fill up at the Keaau Transfer Station, three insulated coolers and my trusty 7 foot pitchfork just in case someone didn’t follow proper COVID-19 protocols for Thursday, April 9th. I was pleasantly surprised however, everyone observed social distancing, interactions were friendly, and all waited patiently in the outdoor lines at stores with limits placed on the number of shoppers allowed inside at one time. It’s amazing how quickly we humans adapt to new behaviors.

My first stop, the bank. I deposited money in Hilo, the teller assisted me on Oahu. My transaction was pleasant and relatively easy, but the person at the other Droid Teller Unit had problems. At one point he broke down in a combination of sobbing and screaming rage. “All I want is to withdraw $400!” I didn’t think it wise for him to say it so loudly, with Social Action Enforcers carrying pitchforks around in their vehicles these days, as clearly, they could be used as a tool for good.... or for evil. And if that fellow had been robbed of his $400 after what he already went through, it’s hard to imagine the depths of despair he might have fallen into.

My next stop, Target. No baking yeast. OK, I can deal with that. We’ve all become bread bakers over the last month, at least those of us pleasantly surprised our bread machines still worked since the last time we used them 5 years ago. So I understood. But then things rapidly went downhill as I rounded the corner at the end of the produce / refrigerated juice aisle, where I met my Waterloo, the scene of my greatest defeat this day - - NO COFFEE CREAMER. What have we as a society become, barbarians? With extraordinary effort on my part, you will be pleased to know that I did not break down in a fit of combined sobbing and shrieking horror. The shoppers around me, had they known, would have been even happier.

Then at my last stop, spirits lifted as I stood in the 6 foot demarcated sidewalk area outside KTA. A man in a Loomis Armored uniform walked into the store wearing a large black mask. I wondered, was he a real Loomis employee, or some dude wearing the greatest holdup disguise ever?
“Hi, I’m here to pickup your money!”
“Here you go, see you tomorrow!”
I was only mildly disappointed when he returned to an authentic Loomis Armored Truck waiting on him, as thankfully it also meant there would be no getaway shootout in the parking lot this afternoon.

Farewell old Hilo town. I’ll see you again after The Peak, whenever it may be.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
NO COFFEE CREAMER

I've had no problem maintaining a supply of actual cream, which I believe to be healthier than the fake stuff.
Thanks all for the reports. Anyone been to Costco?