Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Economic Alternatives For Hawaii
So, I may be a little ahead of the wagon but I just dont see tourism coming back in the numbers required to maintain any semblance as it once was. Its unfortunate but I think at this point its unavoidable.
The secondary death toll from covid (not only suicide but business death) is already starting to become apocalyptic.

Im curious if anyone has thought of things that actually would make livable wages, some light manufacturing industry or something along those lines? I know a lot of people are out of the box going to say Agriculture but really; if agriculture was viable it would be a thriving industry instead of a dying one. Its not that agriculture cant make money but its extremely difficult to pay living wages in Hawaii when most agriculture products are being imported from central and south America.
We can pretty much buy all the local foods from farmers markets as is and even then they are overproducing and tossing products away.

So, what kinds of non tourism industry could Hawaii do. and how bad do things really have to get before the NIMBY folks decide they are hungry enough to allow such ventures?
Astronomy for one. A space port for another.
Hawaii's corrupt, anti-business, over-regulated, nanny-state, kowtowing to special interests / protectors government was a business / industry killer long before COVID came along.

You don't have to ask the Superferry or TMT folks how the anti-business (anti-capitalism) environment is working for them, just go talk to any business owner. If that doesn't sour you, go try to get a permit to build anything.

Last I looked, Hawaii was still debating on how they might legalize hemp. A year after the federal government already legalized it.
(06-27-2020, 03:04 AM)terracore Wrote:   If that doesn't sour you, go try to get a permit to build anything.

Maybe I should change the thread name to, Everyone is screwed, learn to eat grass clippings.

Obviously something has to change.
At least sometime around 2040 Oahu will have a $20 billion short rail system that goes from nowhere, to nowhere.
... learn to eat grass clippings.

What if a Hawaiian entrepreneur developed & manufactured an enzyme allowing humans to digest properly prepared lawn clippings?  Papaya extract is already used as meat tenderizer, if perhaps it also aids in the digestion of grass, we’d have a twofer.

Then, add a few local spices and seasonings, and instead of too many restaurants serving bland Asian food, new flavorful Turf & Turf establishments could open, and true to name, serve real turf.  The possibilities are endless.  
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
(06-27-2020, 05:05 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: ... learn to eat grass clippings.

What if a Hawaiian entrepreneur developed & manufactured an enzyme allowing humans to digest properly prepared lawn clippings?  Papaya extract is already used as meat tenderizer, if perhaps it also aids in the digestion of grass, we’d have a twofer.

Then, add a few local spices and seasonings, and instead of too many restaurants serving bland Asian food, new flavorful Turf & Turf establishments could open, and true to name, serve real turf.  The possibilities are endless.  

Sometimes life is not worth living. The above may be an example of that.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(06-27-2020, 05:05 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: ... learn to eat grass clippings.

Perhaps the new tourism logo should be "Visit Hawaii and try our local grass"? It would certainly appeal to a large group of people.
Terracore is spot on. I lived in Oahu (T.H.) when they actually grew sugar and pineapples. There is so much agriculture that is perfect for our side of the island. The problem is preservation for shipping. Think outside the box: try dipping starfruit slices in sugar and coffee. There you go. Vanilla. Cacao.

Another business that would do well is an indoor skydiving "tunnel". Tourists would go for it. Special discount for those wearing bikinis.

Yes, and there are some perfect geothermal electric-centric businesses. Onsite, the electricity could be the cheapest in the US instead of the most expensive.

Some sort of port on the south end. Pohoiki reborn. Bigger.
They should claw back the 9th island: Give tourism a jump start by legalizing gambling in counties that want it and cannabis statewide. And for the latter, not a regulatory red tape nightmare like they created with hemp and medical marijuana legalization.