Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renewing drivers license?
Stopped in at the Pahoa DMV. They have a person at a table outside to greet you. Picked up the Hawaii drivers license renewal form. Asked the lady about getting the new version used for airline flight Id. She said they are not doing them at this time. I knew that Hawaii had extended the deadline for another year. But, to make my wife renew her license now, and then have to do it again before the extended deadline doesn't make sense. 1. Because of having to renew twice in 11 months, and 2. To have to pay the full price again, when we are ready willing and able to do it now. If I was king.....
Jon in Keaau/HPP
renew twice in 11 months, and 2. To have to pay the full price again

Basically my point. My last passport renewal came in the mail. Good for 10 years. Rely on the State at your peril.
(11-17-2020, 11:19 PM)kalakoa Wrote: renew twice in 11 months, and 2. To have to pay the full price again

Basically my point. My last passport renewal came in the mail. Good for 10 years. Rely on the State at your peril.

What is the price to get a passport?
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Birdmove:  Just to provide you some clarification...  If you are renewing your license because it has or will expire, you are able to renew it with the gold star if you provide the proper documentation.  What they are not doing at this time is providing new licenses merely to get the gold star.

I had no problem getting the gold star upon renewal because my license was about to expire.
I had an out of state license. I got a Hawaii driver license at Pahoa with a gold star in July.
What they are not doing at this time is providing new licenses merely to get the gold star.

On an island, where you need the gold star to travel within the State!!!

TSA has extended the deadline (again) but some drivers' licenses will still expire before then.

Passports have gone up to $110 (and the first one is an extra $35) but it still beats bringing my birth certificate to the DMV. Passport card is accepted at TSA checkpoints, but it confuses the people at 7-11, they have apparently never seen one, aren't sure it's legal as proof of age for liquor purchases. Hilarity ensues.
(11-17-2020, 10:50 PM)birdmove Wrote: Stopped in at the Pahoa DMV. They have a person at a table outside to greet you. Picked up the Hawaii drivers license renewal form. Asked the lady about getting the new version used for airline flight Id. She said they are not doing them at this time.

I think this is bullsh*t. Hawaii has been providing real ID driver licenses for over two years.

(11-18-2020, 02:52 AM)kalakoa Wrote: Passports have gone up to $110 (and the first one is an extra $35) but it still beats bringing my birth certificate to the DMV. Passport card is accepted at TSA checkpoints, but it confuses the people at 7-11, they have apparently never seen one, aren't sure it's legal as proof of age for liquor purchases. Hilarity ensues.

You bring a passport to a 7-11 as a local? And you are surprised by the reaction?
birdmove Wrote:
Stopped in at the Pahoa DMV. They have a person at a table outside to greet you. Picked up the Hawaii drivers license renewal form. Asked the lady about getting the new version used for airline flight Id. She said they are not doing them at this time.
---------------------------------------
It is a matter of how you asked the question.
If you are renewing your about to expire license, you will get the gold star license (they don't do "non-star" ones anymore).
If you walk in to renew your license which has a year or more to go, just to get the "star", they are not doing the renewals. You must wait.
Hawaii has been providing real ID driver licenses for over two years.

Licenses are good for 8 years, and Hawaii was issuing "meets-REAL-documentation-requirement-but-has-no-star" licenses for a while (I have one of these). Really irresponsible considering the whole "need the star to leave the island" thing.

you are surprised by the reaction?

Considering that passport card is an official "valid form of ID" per corporate policy ... a little. But 7-11 insists on ID for all age-restricted purposes, and that was the only thing I had on me...

There was also the time that Hilo TSA wasn't sure about the passport card being valid for domestic travel. I really expected them to know their own regulations. (Ironically, they don't even bat an eye when I present my TWIC.)
Hawaii was issuing "meets-REAL-documentation-requirement-but-has-no-star" licenses for a while
-----------

I got stuck with one of those, too. Now they won't let me renew it because it has several years to go and they are only taking appointments for those with either an already expired license or about to expire.