Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wet, windy, cold, thunderstorm, snowy weather returning ?
From what I've been watching on radar, I hope people in Ka'u are doing OK. There are continuous storms moving NNE and getting hung up on the southern slopes of Kilauea. The rainfall there must be unbelievable. As for Puna, Lower Puna is being hit but much of it looks to be shielded by Kilauea, so areas at the extreme east and SE are being hit hard. For the first time I've experienced, H-132 was closed near 4-corners because visibility was zero due to steam - a mixture of heavy rain and the residual heat from the 2018 eruption.

macuu222 - from my understanding of where you live, and it's only a rough idea, yes, I would stay home right now. Stuff to the south-east of you is just nasty and this is going to go on for quite a while.

(03-10-2021, 12:26 PM)randomq Wrote: So, is all of this rain going to trigger an eruption?
My guess is that we've had many bad storms before, this storm is not that unusual and that I'm unaware of any previous storms causing an eruption, the answer is likely no.
We had a seven hour plus power failure in central HPP last night. A huge tree, likely albezia, took out the main line at Paradise and 17th, and it took them two hours just to get enough of the tree out of the way for HELCO to get to the breech and start working. Those poor guys then had to work for hours in a driving downpour, but they fixed it. There was little wind at the time, so I guess all the rain weighed the tree down and softened what little soil it had around its roots. It happened during dinner hour for us, and the German expletives went flying from the Frau.
@TomK I remember the theory being proffered here after the 2018 eruption; seems someone has written a paper on the subject:

https://www.esa.int/Applications/Observing_the_Earth/Copernicus/Sentinel-1/Can_rain_trigger_a_volcanic_eruption#:~:text=The%20rainwater%20would%20have%20found,to%20rise%20to%20the%20surface.&text=Now%20we%20know%20that%20it,breaks%20easier%20than%20dry%20rock.

In any case, I'm glad to be off-grid, with no power interruptions, and dry, except for every few days when I have to go out in the rain to run my generator and top up the batteries. Some day I'll treat myself to a remote start model!
"Some day I'll treat myself to a remote start model!"

On some units you swap out the carb with a remote start model for under $100. A potential upgrade to think about if your carb starts giving you troubles.
Popped up on Weather Underground forecast for this afternoon Wednesday, 3/10:

3 PM - Thunderstorms
4 PM - Thunderstorms 
5 PM - Heavy Thunderstorms
You can add an earthquake to that list, 3.8.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?currentFeatureId=hv72379532&extent=-89.99722,-144.84375&extent=89.99722,485.15625&range=search&format=dyfi&listOnlyShown=true&baseLayer=terrain&timeZone=utc&search=%7B%22name%22:%22Search%20Results%22,%22params%22:%7B%22starttime%22:%22-1%20day%22,%22producttype%22:%22dyfi%22,%22orderby%22:%22time%22%7D%7D
upgraded to 4.2
FXHW60 PHFO 110148
AFDHFO

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Honolulu HI
348 PM HST Wed Mar 10 2021

.SYNOPSIS...
A low west of Kauai will maintain the chance of heavy rain
statewide through Friday evening. The forecast beyond that is
highly uncertain.

&&

.DISCUSSION...
As of 3 PM satellite and radar loops show heavy showers over all
islands with scattered thunderstorms near Kauai and isolated
thunderstorms over Oahu and the Big Island. The satellite loops
show a surface low about 200 miles west of Kauai. Convergent
southerly flow east of the low is helping maintain the heavy showers
and thunderstorms over Kauai. Water vapor imagery shows a jet
stream aloft over the Big Island helping to enhance the showers in
that area. A trough aloft will maintain the threat of heavy rain
through at least Friday evening. A Flash Flood Watch (FFA) remains
in effect for all islands through 6 PM Friday. The trough aloft is
producing cold temperature aloft. Moisture occasionally pushing
up over the summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, will produce
periods of snow and ice. A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect
through Friday evening for the summits.

The GFS and ECMWF global models agree fairly will through Friday.
The models show big difference beyond that, so confidence is low
for the longer term.

&&

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=HFO&issuedby=HFO&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1
Thanks for the link, randomq, regarding rainfall and volcanic eruptions. It's an interesting read but will admit I remain highly skeptical! On the other hand, I'm glad it's being researched because you can't just ignore the possibility as long as there's plausibility to the hypothesis and a way of testing it.
Here's another take on the rain/eruption theory.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/scien...-rain.html
Certainty will be the death of us.