Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Economic Development
Aloha Everyone,

Puna economy is extremely vulnerable to real estate boom/bust cycles, what other alternative source of economic potentials are available to Puna? Basically, ways to transfer $$$ from outside Puna into Puna.

Do Punatics even want any sort of development? Development probably needs to be controlled to preserve that natural beauty of the region and the slow life style.

One possible solution is to tap into the Billions of $$$ of outsourcing that is benefiting many Asian and European economies, from call centers to software development. Having an English speaking population, a good University System, high speed internet infrastructure and being part of the US is a major benefit towards that end.

Like to hear forum members thoughts on this issue.

Edited by - adias on 11/18/2006 07:25:33
The reason for the outsourcing is the cheap lobor costs in those places (India). Unwillingness by the local labor pool to work for low wages is a good part of the reason sugar and pineapples left. I don't think you will find that attitude to have changed.

S. FL Islander to be
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Do Punatics even want any sort of development?

Speaking for myself?
Nope.

And as for my 19,642 closest friends?
Ditto.

Hmmm. Then again, we may be able to be convinced that a potential traffic signal or two has merit. Other than that? Nahhhh.

Oink,
I am not advocating low paying jobs and outsourcing does not necessarily equate to lower wage jobs. When an area prospers, costs go up and it makes sense for businesses to send some of the work else where to reduce costs; to whomever can provide a better service at a lower cost. The key is to figure out which niche work for an area.

Besides, I don’t see anything but low paying jobs. Only RE’s and speculators seem to be making the big bucks.

Edited by - adias on 11/19/2006 02:42:55
Malolo,
I am with you 100% for no development. All we have to do is to get your 19,642 closest friends to elect you Governor of Puna and you can declare all of Puna a forest reserve. Meanwhile, the other 19,642 folks can speak for themselves.

Seriously, economic development doesn’t have to mean more traffic lights or McDonnell's on every corner. It mean communicating about the issues and coming up with economic plan and getting elected officials to execute on that plan. This is especially true if you don’t want any development.

The alternative is to invariably have developers in cahoots with politicians do whatever works to their best interest.

Edited by - adias on 11/19/2006 04:57:42

A potential economic plan

Edited by - adias on 11/20/2006 15:12:53
The geothermal plant is looking at ways to use more of their thermal output (apparently only the top portion of their thermal output generates electricity). They could use the remaining heat to dry fruits or do a variety of other things. Since the plant is already there, we should try to use the heat to do as much as we can.

John Dirgo, RA, ABR, e-PRO
Island Trust Properties, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.hawaiirealproperty.com
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
At the risk of causing a riot.....

a flight school simulator.... for da big ones.... takes about 2 acres of ground.... little bit of funding...(couple mil)...., doesnt do bad things to the environment, brings potential tourist dollars to Puna, oh yah and gives kids an idea that there is something beyond ice when they grow up...

Okay now everyone start screaming...
Kat,
That sounds like good clean low impact industry to me. If we had a fruit juice industry the spare steam from the geothermal plant could be used for processing juice concentrate.

S. FL Islander to be
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Geothermal is an interesting one, according to U.S. Department of Energy, Geothermal provides 30% of Big Island Power. What prevents it producing 100% of power or even power for exporting? On the other side of the coin what are the environmental consequences? I am aware of strong opposition from some members of the community.

Flight Simulator is an out of the box and fun idea, however its not clear who would be using it, tourists?

It was surprising that more people didn’t indicate the desire for No Development . Most impressive is the community of Hanalei Kauai in preventing development and preserving natural beauty. I have been fortunate to visit there several times. The No Development option can only be achieved by activism, not by silence.

Interesting article on how Hanalei Kauai community keeps development out. http://starbulletin.com/2004/04/23/news/story6.html .Note the creative efforts of Hanalei Roads Committee, a self-appointed group interested in preventing development on the North Shore.

"The one-lane bridges create a sense of friendliness and slowness on the North Shore," she said. "It isn't like Lihue, and we want to keep it that way."

Edited by - adias on 11/22/2006 02:34:38