Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mayor looking at closing beaches.
Mitch Roth and other officials have simply waited too long for a dramatic gesture.

More likely, everyone was waiting for one of the vaccines to reach full FDA approval, which happened this morning.
News conference today at 4PM to announce new rules. I can hardly wait!

https://www.facebook.com/events/646331346817107/

You don't need to be on Facebook to see this.

ETA: News conference was abruptly cancelled just before it was supposed to begin. No explanation given.
(08-23-2021, 04:34 PM)hilot.h. Wrote: I have never understood the idea that " This sure is a nice place to park, look at the swells, at the waves at the clouds. Beautiful, well it's time to go ,just throw all the chip bags, used rubbers and soda cans in the bush and someone may pick it up. If not there are ,other spots to go to.
 I have been running on Shipman trails for the last 20 years. I have found that most, not all fisherman have a basic understanding of keeping the aina clean. The "Night shift" denizens not so much. There appears to be nothing to do.If I am feeling gutsy I may remind every one to leave it cleaner than they found it. And I'll pack out a few bottles.
This is why we can't have nice things. No one to enforce laws down here at Kalolipoint.

You're not alone, don't worry. In the past, we've had people complain about abandoned cars, fridges, mattresses and so on and the answer from some are tourists are to blame. Now, maybe those tourists used other means to come here and bring in their abandoned appliances etc., to the island just to dump them here, but I have yet to witness that happening.

Good advice from you, hilot.h, and thanks for bringing this up.
Apparently the always indecisive governor has yet to sign off on the Hawaii County restrictions. It gets mentioned at this link:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/2...to-follow/

"A spokesperson for Hawaii County said Mayor Mitch Roth has submitted a request to Gov. David Ige regarding multiple restrictions. They did not want to disclose specifics until it is approved, but noted that the gathering size of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors is part of the request."
Bottom line: restrictions cost tax revenue, hence Ige's new "please don't visit" approach, which (as the media now points out) is merely a request, not an order.
(08-24-2021, 05:51 PM)kalakoa Wrote: Bottom line: restrictions cost tax revenue, hence Ige's new "please don't visit" approach, which (as the media now points out) is merely a request, not an order.
It's an insulting request not backed up by the numbers that have shared in the media, which indicate something like 2% of Covid cases related to tourist travel and 10% resident travel.
Which one  of these is far larger in numbers and brings in the big bucks?  Tourism, of course.  He should be asking locals not to travel.  

What are the rent a car companies, airlines, hotels and so forth supposed to do, mass layoffs for a couple months?  Good luck then, booting up for the Fall and Winter.  Ige is a joke.
Didn't you hear? We don't want/need tourists anymore. #LocalsOnly
(08-24-2021, 08:18 PM)Durian Fiend Wrote: What are the rent a car companies, airlines, hotels and so forth supposed to do?

How about running their own efforts to get folks vaccinated?

As far as I can tell all of them have been catering to the unvaxx'd, which is ultimately to their undoing, completely on them.
(08-25-2021, 06:42 AM)MyManao Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 08:18 PM)Durian Fiend Wrote: What are the rent a car companies, airlines, hotels and so forth supposed to do?

How about running their own efforts to get folks vaccinated?

As far as I can tell all of them have been catering to the unvaxx'd, which is ultimately to their undoing, completely on them.
& Delta Airlines has started to do their own efforts to get their employees vaccinated.... $200/mo Health Plan ding may do it!
https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-bus...201f717d91
I know of local businesses giving bonuses for getting vaccinated, so carrot too, not just the stick...