Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELCO remove tree on power lines on private property?
A tall Ohia fell across our power lines near our house, on our property. The tree is resting at an angle with the top resting on other trees,that appear to be partially supporting the partially fallen tree.  The power lines are stretched but we still have power.  I called HELCO and they will be sending someone to asses the situation.

There is a second tall Ohia, covered in vines, next to the partially fallen tree, that is also next to the power lines. This second tree also appears to be leaning slightly now over our carport and if it falls it will also pulldown the power lines and possibly hit our carport.

Has anyone had any experiences lately with HELCO dealing with this situation on private property?  Hoping to get some information on what to expect from HELCO and how to remedy the situation for both trees.

Mahalo
Rob
I had a HELCO line rip off the connecting line on my house leading to the meter. They blamed me for everything. I’ve moved on to the PUC to resolve the issue.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
(12-06-2021, 11:35 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: I had a HELCO line rip off the connecting line on my house leading to the meter.  They blamed me for everything.  I’ve moved on to the PUC to resolve the issue.
Hope PUC rules in your favor.  Tree on lines presents a physical danger as well as cutting power to multiple homes in area if lines are severed.
Any trees that are on your property are your responsibility. Helco may disconnect your power completely and it's your responsibility.
Here is the Hawaiian Electric page on trees... "It is your responsibility to inspect and, if necessary, hire certified tree trimmers to trim trees on your property that are in contact with or in close proximity to the service line that delivers power to your property."

https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/safety-...ing-safety
(12-07-2021, 12:50 AM)Carey Wrote: Here is the Hawaiian Electric page on trees... "It is your responsibility to inspect and, if necessary, hire certified tree trimmers to trim trees on your property that are in contact with or in close proximity to the service line that delivers power to your property."

https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/safety-...ing-safety
Thanks for the feedback and link.  Will start working on getting a "certified tree trimmer" lined up.  Might make the process smoother with Helco if they come out to say we already have already contacted someone.  Wish Helco included a list of certified trimmers!
I've called Helco twice for my trees on their lines. Both times they did the cutting for free. I know people who had the same situation and weren't as lucky. It seems to depend on the crew who responds to your call.
(12-07-2021, 08:21 AM)AaronM Wrote: I've called Helco twice for my trees on their lines.  Both times they did the cutting for free.  I know people who had the same situation and weren't as lucky.  It seems to depend on the crew who responds to your call.
Mahalo, will keep that in mind.  Also, remembered that my other half asked Helco's tree trimmers on our road, a few weeks ago if they wanted some cold drinks, and asked about having our trees trimmed along lines to house.  They took our info and said someone would call us, but we never got a call.  We'll probably mention this Helco crew.
(12-07-2021, 08:21 AM)AaronM Wrote: I've called Helco twice for my trees on their lines.  Both times they did the cutting for free.  I know people who had the same situation and weren't as lucky.  It seems to depend on the crew who responds to your call.

It depends on what wire the tree is on. If a tree in your yard is close to or touching the high voltage line running down your street they will trim or remove it.
If the tree is laying on your roof or on your service line, you are on your own.
I guess I got lucky or the guys were in a good mood because one of the times they came up my driveway and cut a tree that was laying across my service line.

The other time it was my tree growing into their high voltage line.